Chapter 81: Missing

Adan

When everyone was seated, I took a moment to tell them what had happened at the Snow Warrior Pack, and everyone gasped.

"You have a right to know." I sighed. "The Blood Moon is tomorrow, and the preparations can't wait. Men, lock up your daughters, wives, and Mates. As you all know, every unmated wolf will be in heat during the three days of the Blood Moon. It's our Mating Ritual, and those eligible are free to indulge, but I don't want there to be any mistakes. During the Blood Moon, wolves are delirious with want and need and will take any unmated wolf they see, so protect your families." I looked over the Pack. "Those of you with cottages in the village, make sure every house is secure."

"Aye!" A few men stood, their fists clenched at their sides.

The village was a small community for those who chose to live in family units on the castle grounds. This way, they had their privacy and could live together as a family, raising their children how they liked. In order to qualify to live in a cottage, the family must have children, or the female must be pregnant. Childless couples lived in shared suites in the castle.

"But with the impending attacks from the Snow Warrior Pack and possibly the humans...." Jay, one of my trusted Warriors, rose to his feet, his shocking red hair brushing across his shoulders. "How can we take the necessary precautions if we're attacked during the Blood Moon?"

"It's a chance we'll have to take," I cut him off. "Barricade the front gates and board up the glass doors of the castle. We'll barricade ourselves inside until the Blood Moon passes. Those of you who will be taking part, come get me in my suite if there is an attack."

"Aye," a few men and women said, their voices filled with concern.

"Now, go! We have many preparations to make."

"Aye!" everyone yelled in unison as they started filing out. I jumped off the stage, and Dominic was right behind me. "Gather your team and Alice's, and board up the castle. Also, tell Wyatt to have his team barricade the front gates."

"Aye!" He started barking orders, sending men out as I hurried outside and into the courtyard, headed toward an outbuilding behind the castle. I flung the huge doors open, and the boards for the windows were to the right, all marked to ensure that each board went on the right window. "Dom? Alice? The boards are there. See me for further instructions when you finish."

"Aye!" they both yelled in unison and started right to work.

I walked purposefully toward the front gates, and Wyatt was there, organizing the men.

"Make sure everything is secure!" I checked out the gate and looked down the wall as I spoke. From the look of it, Wyatt had everything well in hand. "Report to me when it's done. Also, I want your men to take shifts standing guard. In the event of an attack, come get me in my suite immediately."

"Aye!" he yelled as I walked away.

I checked on the village, and the men were already making preparations. I gave them the same instructions and then went to the next group. Soon, I had checked every group, shop, store, and dwelling within the castle, and everything was nearly ready.

Caesar greeted me when I walked into the kitchen. "Is everything secure?"

"Aye," he replied, shaking his head as a crease formed between his eyes.

"What's wrong?" One thing I knew about Caesar was that he rarely let anything bother him.

He bit his lower lip. "Dane, one of my chefs, didn't come in today. When I sent Raphael to check on him, he knocked on his suite, but no one came to the door. It's probably nothing, but I'm worried about him."

I nodded, thinking back to this morning, and he wasn't one of the warriors who went with us. "Did he say anything about traveling to the battle this morning?"

Caesar shook his head. "No, he didn't. He just... didn't show up."

"Is he usually trustworthy?"

He nodded. "Yes, of course."

"Has he disappeared like this before?"

"No. Not like this." Caesar sighed. "He's been late a few times, but he never missed a full shift."

I nodded, already headed toward the door. "I'll check it out." But I stopped in the doorway. "I want to speak with him immediately when he gets back."

"Yes, Alpha." Then he faced his kitchen staff and started barking orders again.

I headed out, wondering if this had anything to do with Darius and the Snow Warrior Pack or if I was just being paranoid.

"Mike, Ray, come with me," I ordered as I passed.

"Aye!" they both barked in unison as I passed.

"Alpha, what's wrong?" asked Mike, one of my best warriors.

I slowly shook my head as I headed toward the stairs, taking two at once. "I'm not sure yet." We arrived on the fourth floor and walked purposefully toward his door. "Dane Dawson has a roommate. Right?"

Ray nodded. "Yes, he has a roommate but doesn't have a Mate."

I let out a deep breath. "Who is his roommate?"

"Colin Perry," Mike replied, his eyes filled with concern.

Knock, knock, knock!

Silence.

I pulled out my master key card and unlocked the door. Blood was streaked across the wall, and a lamp and a chair were knocked over at the end of the hallway. When we turned the corner, the glass dining room table was shattered, and Colin Perry was lying in the center, his eyes frozen with surprise, lying dead in the glass shards.

"Mike, put the castle on lockdown! I want every inch searched until we find Dane!"

"Aye!" Mike pulled his cell phone from his pocket and headed into the hallway, already calling it in.

I stormed through the rest of the suite, looking for him while Ray searched the other half. Dane was nowhere to be found.

"Nothing." Ray shook his head when he came out of Colin's bedroom. "Do you think Dane did this?"

I took a deep breath as I pulled out my phone and called Magenta. She was an excellent tracker.

"I'm not sure, but he has much to answer for when he returns."

As I paced the floor waiting for Magenta and Dominic to arrive, my thoughts went to Mason. Was he really a traitor, or had I jumped to conclusions? My heart sank at the thought.

Either way, we were about to find out.

***

A/N: Umm... so what do you think? Is Mason really the traitor?