Chapter 79: Once a Traitor, Always a Traitor

Brenna

We rushed through the transparent tunnel of the Space-Time Continuum as dark matter and stars zoomed by and came to a stop a moment later in the lobby of the Moon Shadow Pack Castle.

"What happened?" one guard asked as several others rushed toward us.

"Quickly! Take the limo to the overpass near the edge of the forest to get the Alpha!" I yelled. "Do it now!" I walked purposefully out the doors and into the courtyard as the guards followed, leaving Laura in the care of Magenta. Outside, more guards rushed up. "Bring the limo around now and another car! Take several guards with you!"

"Why?" one of the guards asked.

I looked straight into his eyes. "You dare question me? I am the Luna and future Queen of this Pack!"

"I understand." He bowed his head slightly, placing his fist on his chest. "I just need to know what's going on and how many guards we'll need."

I nodded and then quickly told him everything that had happened.

He nodded once, his eyes wide. "Aye! We'll bring them back safely, My Queen. Don't worry."

Storming past him, I headed toward the main gates. "Reinforce the gate and prepare for an attack!"

"From whom?" one of the guards asked.

"The human Mafia Dons."

"Aye!" He turned and started barking orders. Then an announcement was made, resonating over loudspeakers inside the castle and along the grounds.

Men ran out of the castle, ready to do battle. Some jumped from the top of the stairs, shifting into their wolf forms in midair, and landed on four paws already in a dead run. They quickly checked the perimeter, while the others guarded the walls. Other warriors stood guard just outside the huge glass castle doors as the last line of defense before a breach.

"Young warriors, guard the castle interior!" I yelled, pointing toward the doors.

"Aye!" Many of them ran toward the castle.

Secretly, I was glad they would be inside in the event of an attack. Adan was right to keep them inside. They were skilled enough to defend the interior in case of a breach and wouldn't be on the front lines. But the chances of anyone getting past all of us and attacking them were slim.

Once the castle was secure, I ran up the stairs, taking two at a time. In my suite, I strapped on my sword and checked it. When I checked on the young warriors, Mira was with them, giving them orders.

"My Queen." Mira bowed slightly, bringing her fist to her heart as I passed.

I nodded once. "Thank you, Mira." I felt much better, knowing the young warriors were under her care.

"No thanks are necessary." A smile lit her lips as I passed by and headed outside.

The castle grounds were locked down, and everyone was in place within minutes. Now, there was nothing left to do but wait.

Adan

Dominic, Mason, and I ran with the other warriors to the rendezvous point. It wouldn't take long for Darius to realize we were gone. Then he'd scour the grounds and wouldn't quit until he found us. I was glad that Brenna had gotten away safely. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her.

Once we reached the overpass, we didn't have to wait long when Darius and his men pulled up in a limo and a van.

"Steady, men!" I braced myself, ready to fight, wishing I had my sword. Darius had taken them when he caught us. "We're not going back to the Snow Warrior Compound."

"Agreed." Dominic doubled his fists as he stood by my side, along with the other warriors.

Mason looked between us, unsure of what to do. I shook my head, wondering why I'd never seen him as the coward that he was before now. He stood behind us, waiting.

The limo stopped a short distance from us, and Darius climbed out of the back, along with his men. "Well, well, well!" He chuckled as he walked toward us but stopped a short distance away as his men surrounded us. "Look who we have here." He sneered as he took me in. "Running like a scared dog."

I squared my shoulders and stepped toward him, staring him down. "You and me. One-on-one. Right now. No interference from my men or yours."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "And why would I do that...." I motioned around him. "When I have the upper hand?"

"Coward." I scoffed. "Now, who's running scared?"

"Why, you son of a—" Darius took a step toward me, drawing his sword.

Just then, a limo pulled up along with an SUV, coming to a screeching halt just behind us. Warriors from the Moon Shadow Pack jumped out and stood behind us.

"You alright, Alpha?" Wyatt asked, slowly drawing his sword as he stepped up beside me.

One corner of my lips curled into a snarl, never taking my eyes from Darius. "Never better." Then I raised my voice. "Men! Move out!"

"Aye!" all of my warriors yelled in unison, waiting as we headed toward the limo.

"Don't worry, Adan!" Darius yelled, stopping me. I turned around and he was clenching his sword, staring daggers through me. "I'll see you again soon."

I waited until my men were safely in the limo and the SUV. "I'm counting on it." Then I slid into the limo last, and we headed out.

Douglas looked in the rearview mirror after we pulled away. "Looks like they're not going to engage. They're leaving."

"Good. Take us straight to the castle."

"Yes, sir." He turned his attention back to the road.

I stared out the window, knowing this wouldn't be the end of it. After our attempt, I was sure that Darius wouldn't wait long to retaliate.

But the Blood Moon was quickly approaching and needed to be our first priority. That and having a trial for Mason. I still found it hard to believe that he would betray me after all this time, but stranger things have happened.

Luckily, Mason road back in the SUV. Right now, I didn't even want to look at him. If he was found guilty, I would have no choice but to kill him. Treason against the Alpha and a Pack was punishable by death. There could be no other punishment. For a split second, I thought about bending the rules and giving him a hundred years to life in prison, but once a traitor, always a traitor. I couldn't leave Brenna's safety and the safety of the Pack at the mercy of a traitor... no matter who he was.

***

A/N: Sorry I'm late posting this week! My son had problems with a wisdom tooth that had to be dealt with. So, today I'm posting six chapters to make up for it, and I'll post three more on Friday. Thanks for reading! Comment below and let me know what you think of the story so far!