Claire and Sherry emerged from the tall grass and ran over to Leon and Jasper, glancing at the semi-truck as it disappeared from their view. "So... is it over?" Claire asked.

"I don't know. But if it's not, we'll stop it. Whatever it takes," Leon said with determination.

"You're right," Claire nodded in agreement. "You're damn right we will!"

"There's nothing we can't do, as long we're together," Jasper added and Leon smiled at the detective.

"Come on," the raven-haired squatted down in front of Sherry and offered her a piggyback ride. The little girl leapt onto the male's back, wrapping her arms gently around his neck. Jasper stood up and adjusted her until he got a good grip on the little girl.

Sherry beamed as she rode on Jasper's back. Leon and Claire smiled brightly at the little girl, glad she was alright despite what kind of horrors she witnessed. "Hey! You guys can adopt me!"

"Adopt you?" Claire questioned with uncertainty.

"Do you think you can handle two dads and one mom?" Jasper asked.

"I don't know, but that'd be cool!" Sherry beamed. "And we can get a puppy!"

"A puppy?"

"And a parrot!"

"Parrot? Great."

***

After about an hour of walking—and taking a few breaks, the group eventually got a ride and arrived at a hotel. They did get a few weird looks from the people when they were at the reception, but they were all too tired to even care about the reactions.

Luckily, the receptionist was kind enough to let them stay for a while and give them some new clothes. They also explained that there were only two rooms available, others were either under construction or taken. But Jasper didn't mind it, especially when he had Leon sharing with him.

"Agh... Shit!" Leon hissed in pain as a bandage dabbed with alcohol came into contact with his open wound, stinging the flesh. He was sitting on the toilet while Jasper helped him clean up his wound and change the dressing.

"Sorry, sorry," Jasper apologized quickly. He lets him relax for a little bit before reassuring him, "It's OK. It's supposed to be like that. It means your wound is not infected."

"I know," Leon slouched in his seat. "It just... hurts a lot more than I expected."

"It was a lot easier for me to patch you up when you were unconscious," Jasper mentioned. "And if I did happen to find a bullet inside, it would've been much worse."

"I guess I got lucky," Leon shrugged with a small chuckle.

"You did," Jasper replied, before he instructed the blonde with a serious expression, "Now hold still. Try not to breathe."

Leon nodded before he straightened his posture. Jasper dabbed the bandage on the wound, blood seeping through the cotton. The blonde scrunched his face in pain, but he subsided it eventually as he let the latter treat his wound.

There was a moment silence between them, but it was a peaceful silence. It felt it was just the two of them. No zombies, monsters, tyrants—Just the two of them.

But a thought was itching behind Leon's head for a while and he felt the silence was suffocating. "You know, I've been thinking..." Leon started, looking down to avoid the raven-haired's gaze, "about the, uh... the kiss we had."

"Oh. Really?" Jasper said hesitantly. "Well, what have you been thinking?"

"Since when did you start having those feelings for me?" Leon questioned.