➟ 34. clean air

❝ FOR ALL THE SPARKS THAT I STOMPED OUT

FOR ALL THE SPARKS THAT I STOMPED OUT...

_________

THE MORNING SUN BARELY PEEKS through the curtains, as a storm swirls through the Mediterranean coast. The sky cries, the wind howls, and it all causes Andie to stir in her sleep, her fingers curling around the empty space beside her. Her subconscious mind registers that Charles is gone, and she mumbles a half-conscious goodbye, a soft and glum sigh escaping her lips...

Little does she know that Charles isn't en route to Maranello as she assumed. Instead, he's made a detour, one that, at first glance, could be misconstrued as something entirely different.

The plan was to head straight to the Ferrari headquarters, but there was somewhere he needed to be, a certain somewhere that weighed heavily on his mind. Thoughts of infidelity could cross anyone's mind given the circumstances of his strained marriage—but that's far from the truth.

It's a nondescript building, tucked away from prying eyes. Charles enters discreetly, hoping not to be recognized by anyone passing by. His Ferrari rain jacket being the only semblance of shade with him. The waiting room is empty, save for a receptionist who greets him with a friendly smile. He had made the call last night, while Andie was asleep, hoping for a last-minute session.

And surprisingly, Dr. Dumont had agreed to see him this early morning on such short notice.

As he sits in her office, Charles feels a surge of nervousness. The drumming of the rain outside is unexpectedly loud today. He still had his reservations about all of this. He wasn't used to baring his soul to a stranger... but he knew he had to do this. For Andie.

"Charles, so lovely to see you again." Dr. Dumont welcomes the racer with endearment, taking her seat on the plush chair in front of him, "Congratulations on the win yesterday, by the way."

"Thank you, doctor." He smiles warmly, "I couldn't have done it without her."

The therapist then brings out her pen and notepad as she prepares to jot down some notes on their little session, "I'm glad you reached out... how have you been since our first session?"

Charles sighs and unconsciously slumps back in his seat, "I'm... I'm not sure, to be honest. There's so much going on, and I don't know where to start."

Dr. Dumont nodded understandingly, "Well, let's begin wherever feels right for you. What's been on your mind lately?"

The downpour on the window sill doesn't go unnoticed... it was something that helped Charles focus even.

"Just this... this constant fear." He admits, his voice quivering, "Fear of losing Andie, fear of letting down my team, fear of letting myself down. I... I used to keep these fears at bay so well. But now, I don't know how to handle it all anymore."