Were she to agree to the Neverseen and meet up, she'd only be giving them the chance to take her again. Take her away from her friends for a second time. And hurt her. Turn her. Change her. Surely, Keeper would take over again. She'd win, permanently this time. That thought--it terrified Sophie. She had a good life now. Keefe trusted her, her friends had forgiven her, and it was just too good a life to give up in general. 

Sophie tossed the note aside, turning to change. She'd shower and forget about it. Sophie had had a good day, and she wasn't about to ruin that-- Sophie paled as her eyes landed on a particular corner of the room. How had she not noticed? How had she totally missed this? Vertina would have warned her about the note, or at least commented on how messy Sophie looked. However, neither of those things had happened, and Sophie hadn't even noticed. 

Her eyes stared blankly, confused and full of guilt at the corner where Vertina's mirror had once stood. In its place was a slightly paler spot on the wall, outlining where the spectral mirror used to be. Sophie had been such a terrible friend, not noticing her permanent roommate had disappeared. Sophie stepped closer, her fingertips grazing the spot on the wall. Until something else caught her attention. 

"A second note?" she whispered, tugging it out of the crevasse it had been tucked into. Looking over it, it read: Please and thank you :)

It also had a little sketch of a cave Sophie had seen when touring Havenfield for the first time. Edaline had been reluctant, Sophie remembered, but with enough convincing from both Grady and Mr. Forkle, Sophie had gotten a short glimpse at the cave beneath the cliffs. Unlike most ransom notes, Sophie realized, these didn't contain an "or else" or "do not tell anyone". Written threat or not, however, the meaning was clear: come now, or risk your family's life. 

Sophie spat out a bunch of naughty words, tearing both notes before drowning them in her bathroom sink. The urge to ignore the notes and get back to that shower was strong, Sophie had to admit... but her family's lives were in danger. No matter how badly she wished she could, Sophie refused to risk her parents' lives for her own. Even if it meant losing her own consciousness to Keeper's, Sophie had to go. Because Sophie now understood what Stina had meant by being the "moonlark". Being the moonlark was to risk her own life and wants for the safety of others, giving up everything for others. 

Knowing this, Sophie wove her hair into a tight, combat-ready braid. She didn't waste time changing, though, and went straight for the window. 

"Three stories up," Sophie said, trying to convince herself. "I can make that." 

Before she could think anything else of it, she got a running start and leaped for the window. She hadn't understood what had happened before, but thinking back, Sophie knew what had happened earlier that evening when she'd raced. It wasn't her imagination, but a talent. An ability. With just enough speed, Sophie could teleport. Maybe if she applied the same trick her, while falling, she could make it to the cave faster. 

As Sophie fell, a sense of familiarity came over her and her instincts kicked in. Picturing the cave with her photographic memory, a black void cut through the air and swallowed her whole with a thunderous roar. Sophie held the image at the front of her mind, determined to find Edaline, Grady, and Vertina... Sophie corrected herself. She was going to find her mom and dad, and Vertina, who was technically her sister, according to Sophie. 

The void opened up again, and Sophie fell from the sky and onto the beach, landing in the damp sand. Waves crashed behind her, still managing to soak her tunic and hands. The moon above, though halfway hidden behind the clouds, reflected off the ocean's waters. Sophie shivered as a cold breeze nipped at her skin, leaving her both soaking and cold. She stood up, kicking off the sand and scanning the area for the cave, which turned out to be a few meters down the way. Sophie hurried over, only slowing as she reached the entrance.