"Maybe that's for the better. Society kind of sucked anyway."

"Yeah. It did."

Kate caught the shift in Yelena's voice, the slight drop in tone. The archer studied Yelena's face, not wanting to see her radiant smile disappear.

"Hey," Kate said softly, drawing her gaze. "It's alright. We're still here."

Yelena, never one for sentiment through her words, slowed the truck enough to lean over and kiss Kate on the cheek without fear of barreling off the road. Kate was so kind, so in touch with what she wanted, what she needed, that Yelena could only hope the tenderness in her touch and the adoration in her eyes conveyed the same message.

___

Much later, after the sun had set and the little blue truck sputtered to a halt, Kate and Yelena lay together on the bed, so thoroughly intertwined that they could not tell their limbs apart under the blankets.

When they first kissed on the farm, Kate had felt such immense relief, an explosion of pressure that made her head lighter, her steps bouncier. It was the opening of a floodgate, the shattering of a window. There was no awkward tension between them now, no stolen glances, no hesitant cuddling under the guise of it being much too cold out to sleep alone. Now, their love was real. It was spoken, it was felt, honored, shared.

In the truck bed, impossibly warm and unbelievably content, Kate cupped Yelena's cheeks, eyes asking for permission. The Widow only bit back a smile, leaning in and planting a gentle kiss to Kate's lips. One of Yelena's hands rested on Kate's chest, toying with her collar, the other wrapped around her waist to keep her close, keep her safe.

"Yelena," Kate said after a moment, pulling back. She said the word not to get the blonde's attention, but as though it was the only thing she could think of, the singular entity consuming her thoughts so completely that she could not help but verbalize it. She said it as though she could not believe love had a name.

"Yes?" Yelena replied, thumb smoothing down the soft little hairs splaying onto Kate's forehead. She kissed her temple, kissed her cheek. It wasn't enough.

"Just..." Kate chest compressed as she let out a long sigh. She pulled Yelena closer, eyes fixed on the unknowable expanse of galaxies above. "I never... I never thought I would have this. Not now."

"Have what?"

"Someone like you."

Yelena tucked her head under Kate's chin. "Someone like me?"

"Yeah. Someone to watch my back. Someone to hold at night."

"To have and to hold," Yelena mused sleepily, fully encased by Kate's arms and the way she smelled like leather, well worn but still hardy.

"Are you reciting marriage vows to me?" Kate laughed, wishing she could hold Yelena like this forever, wanting so badly to always keep her close. "So soon?"

"What can I say? You're charming."

"And you're beautiful."

"Stop it." Yelena's cheeks flushed. She hid her face deeper in the crook of Kate's neck. "You know," she said, slightly muffled. "I think I owe my sister an apology."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I get it now. When she left the Widows, left me, it was partly because she met a girl. She'd gone and fallen in love, and the thought of being away from her was so agonizing that Nat was willing to leave everything behind." Yelena sighed, deflating. "I'd held it against her, begrudged her, but I think I understand now. What she did, what you've said about burning down cities..."