The Coast

It was spring now, a gentle rebirth bearing milder weather and kinder days as the two travelers began their adventure anew. They journeyed along the coast of Virginia, trading towering pines for low shrubs and forest rivers for Atlantic estuaries. As much as Kate adored the woods and its homely canopies, the salty air and open skies were a welcome sight after a winter spent in isolation.

As the seasons and the scenery changed, Kate Bishop felt herself change with it. As white winter melted away, so did she; as the blue sky opened up above her, so did she. Before, when she lost her father, it shattered her. When she lost Peter, it numbed her, jaded her, leading her to abandon society and people altogether. Now, after losing Clint, a man who, along with Yelena, revived her faith in humanity, Kate Bishop was eerily calm. If Clint had in fact died, he had done so on his own terms, ensuring Yelena and Kate's clean escape. He had gifted them new life, and Kate did not intend to waste it on old habits of self isolation and angst.

Yelena noticed Kate's calmness- she noticed everything about the archer these days. Kate's lingering gazes, the want flickering in her blue eyes, the way she always took first watch now, how she was just a little too hyper-vigilant at times. She seemed fine, mostly, at least on the surface, and this worried the blonde. Yelena feared Kate may be pushing aside all the trauma from DC, shooting her mother and leaving Clint, in favor of focusing solely on Yelena. It was in her nature to self sacrifice, but Yelena could not allow that.

"Kate," Yelena prompted one day as they wandered through an abandoned coastal town, silent save for the gentle breeze and their crunching footsteps.

The salt in the air had accelerated the rusting process, coating every bit of metal in burnt red. Paint melted off of storefronts, boutiques and tourist traps, a hair salon and a jewelry store. Seashells scattered sidewalks, untouched relics of high tides and floods. Barnacles and algae grew unhindered on soggy wood, sand dusted the streets. Though dilapidated, Main Street reminded Kate of quaint New England towns of her childhood, of carefree summer getaways with her parents.

"Yeah?" The archer said, stopping in front of an old candy store.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything."

Yelena, arms crossed, stood behind Kate as she broke through the store's front glass. "Are you alright?"

"What?" She stepped inside, offering a hand. "I'm in a candy store, I'm fantastic."

"Well, you know, besides right now." Yelena sheepishly accepted the hand, ducking into the shop. "And you know you don't always have to dote on me, right? You know I'm capable?"

Kate stilled, eyeing Yelena's muscles, the pistol on her hip, the patches on the jacket tied to her pack. "Trust me, I remember how capable you are. I don't doubt your skill, Yelena, or your strength. Can a girl just be a little chivalrous?"

Yelena froze as well, standing face to face with Kate, suddenly aware of their intertwined hands. Electricity buzzed between them and Yelena reflexively untangled their fingers, cheeks flushing. Kate searched her face, swallowing hard as she took a step back.

"I don't, um..." Yelena brushed Kate's shoulder as she walked by her to explore behind the counter. "I don't mind chivalry."

"Noted." Attempting to catch her breath, Kate tracked Yelena's path through the store. "To answer the question, though, I'm fine. Really."

"Would you tell me if you weren't?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean..." Yelena shook her head, wishing she had Natasha's intuition, wishing she had Clint's way with words. Face falling, she leaned against the front counter, chiding herself for finding it so difficult. "You've been so worried about me. I just hope you haven't forgotten about yourself."