Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

The classroom was fairly spacious and students were chattering amongst themselves. I found a desk by the window and I sat down looking at the sight. The school was surrounded by a huge fence which gave off the feel that it was a prison more than a school but never the less I could still see some trees in the distance. I looked around for Janay but she had already walked off to where her friends were (I just assumed the people she was talking to were her friends)

"Hi" I turned around to see a small girl standing next to the empty desk which was next to mine

"Hi"

"Is this seat taken?" she asked

"No"

"Okay, thanks" she said and sat down as silence followed.

"I'm Miyuki by the way" she said after a while, bringing an end to the aching silence.

"I'm Celeste"

"That's such a pretty name" she said and turned forward

"Hey, have you been in this school long?" I asked

"Why do you ask?" she turned to look at me

"You're new right?" she asked again before I could answer and I nodded "Well so am I but I guess we could help each other out"

"Sure" I said just as the teacher walked in

"Good morning I am Ms. Shauna and I will be teaching you Literature"

"Good morning Ms. Shauna" the class chorused.

"So we will be starting this class with some introductions" she said "I would like to get to know each and every one of your names" I suddenly felt like I was in elementary school. Everyone said they're names and then she brought out a book.

"Now let's dive into the book we will be reading this term" she said "Everyone has a copy under his or her desk so bring it out and we will start"

I took out my book and it turned out to be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I've read this book countless times and I was excited that we would be reading it again.

"Let's start with chapter one shall we?" we began reading the chapter. At the sound of the bell we were given an assignment to finish up the chapter and write a summary on it. I stuffed the book in my bag and looked around for Janay, but I couldn't find her anywhere. I spotted Miyuki's long black hair so I ran up to her.

"Miyuki, would you happen to know where the biology lab is?" I asked

"Yeah, I'm heading there right now" she said "You know since we're in the same class we will be having all our classes together"

"How?" I asked. At my old school since everyone had schedules it would sometimes be hard to see my friends but I guess here things were different.

"Well, all those who are in the same class all have the same schedule"

"Oh"

We walked into the lab and I felt like someone was watching me. I turned around and saw no one, the class was almost empty, save for Miyuki and I and the other students who were getting in. I took my seat by the window and waved to Janay when she passed by but she didn't even spare me a glance.

"Don't mind Janay, she's always mean to people" Miyuki said

"I thought you were new?" I asked

"Yeah but everyone knows Janay" I didn't. I shrugged off the feeling that something was wrong and I continued with the class.