i threw my hair up in a ponytail and started putting all the dishes in the sink, quickly rinsing them and putting them in the dishwasher. once it was full i started it and hand washed the rest, drying them and putting them away with help from ellen.

i sprayed the counter and let it sit there to clean up all the residue from the food and then wiped it down.

then ellen and i took all the food out of the oven and she plated it while i cut some fruit and vegetables for a fruit tray and a salad.

we placed everything on the counter and sighed once it was done.

"i should have you come around more often. you were a big help."
"just give me a call and i'll help whenever."
"mom! grandma and grandpa are here!" luke shouted from the living room.

we both walked out of the kitchen and jack walked up to me.

"thank you for helping my mom, she won't let us in the kitchen cause apparently we weren't doing anything right."
"it's no problem, i'll always help your family." i chuckled.

he put his hands on my waist and kissed my forehead. i blushed and put my head down.

"and who's this beautiful girl?" i heard a woman ask.

"grandma, this is delilah, luke went to college with her. delilah this is my grandma."
"you can call me your grandma too, you seem like close friends."
"nice to meet you." i laughed giving her a hug.

"you too sweetheart."

i briefly met jacks grandpa and decided to continue calling him mr. hughes. he seemed to be the interrogative type.

more family came before alex, ty, trevor, mikey, john and nico came in together.

"hey wisconsin dells."
"hey, z. hey guys."
"hey delilah."
"there's the birthday boy." trevor said pulling luke in a head lock.

we all laughed as luke struggled to get free. once he was let go he took a deep exaggerated breath, putting his hands on his knees.

i mostly stayed with trevor and nico while everyone else kind of dispersed and the hughes brothers all got whisped away into talking to family they haven't seen in a while.

but sooner or later luke came to us and told us everyone was going to the kitchen to sing happy birthday and cut the cake.

once that was over people started leaving but the hughes family insisted i stayed longer even though it was already really late. i only agreed because i wanted luke to open my gift.

so he sat down in the living room as i handed him the wrapped box.

ellen was recording because i told her my plan and she agreed so he could have a parents consent because he isn't eighteen yet.

he unwrapped the box and saw the shoes.

"oh my god, finally some new shoes."
"i know, you've been complaining about your other ones for too long." ellen laughed.

"look at the wrapping paper, luke."

he grabbed it and there were the plane tickets taped on the inside of the wrapping paper.

he read them and then looked at me with wide eyes. ellen and i laughed at him while the others were confused asking him what it was.

"you didn't."
"i did."
"what? what is it?"
"you're taking me to chicago with you?"
"yup. my moms been asking about meeting you and i thought it would be a fun trip for us before you start hockey and before i have to worry about finals and stuff."
"there's no way you paid for this by yourself."
"i did. and you can't say no cause the tickets were non-refundable."
"dude this is insane, thank you delilah."
"of course." i laughed and gave him a hug.

"i'm offended i'm not going with." jack pouted.

"yeah i can barely deal with luke alone if i had to deal with you and luke all hell would break lose."

we all laughed together and then i called it a night and left the hughes house.

little did i know i wouldn't be seeing them for a long time..