100k Special: Short Story Sneak Peak!

Start from the beginning

As Diluc rounded the next corner, he noticed a strange, twisted looking tree with dark, black bark. He squinted, and headed closer. His father had always taught him to be cautious. He looked up, where only a few- he could count the number of leaves on one hand- red leaves sprouted feebly from its thin branches. Could this thing even be called a tree? He noticed a few particular branches, protruding from its side. He reached forward, grabbing hold of them, and yanked. Instantly, the tree seemed to stand straighter. It's bark turned a light, brown color, leave and flowers bloomed from it's branches, and newly sprouted leaves spread out over his head, providing shade from the heat beating down from the sun. Diluc blinked. Sumeru sure had some interesting plants, he noted. Just as he was about to turn around, something wet and slimey hit his back, followed by the acrid smell of burning wool. He swore, and quickly torn off his burning shirt, which was almost reduced to ashes by the time he threw it on the ground. He summoned his claymore, swinging it just in time to meet the wooden axe of a large mitachurl. What the heck?

He swung, slashing the head of the mitachurl clean off.

What the heck? Did that tree just summon a whole hilichurl camp?

Diluc spun around, bring his weapon down hard on the hilichurl that had probably thrown the slime that had burned his shirt. 

What the heck? Wait, a murder tree? Hold on, father had written about something like this, right? Diluc thought.

Thwack. Another one down. One more left- he swung again, only to hear the dreaded high-pitched chortles of an abyss mage. Diluc groaned. It wasn't that taking them down was hard, but he really didn't want to deal with one today- he turned to face his opponent- especially a PRYO ABYSS MAGE- Diluc snarled. He wanted to rip out his hair. He blinked. Was it just him, or was his vision going blurry? He squinted, tightening his grip on his claymore. the abyss mage looked more like a burning red blob of fire than anything, really. Diluc stumbled. Maybe that headache was more than just a migraine. 

Crack. Diluc's eyes snapped open in pain. Wait. Did that sound come from his skull? Ah right, he thought as he fell. There was still one more. Stupid hilichurls, throwing things at him. He hit the ground. He could hear the tinkling of bells and a blur of white. Was he hallucinating again? He couldn't think. He was tired. His eyes finally closed, and he blacked out. 

Stupid murder trees.

~ 🦉 🔥~

"Diluc, we shouldn't be in here!" Kaeya hissed. His brother stood, his hands pressed to the door behind him. His eyebrows were scrunched together, making them look like two furry blue caterpillars, kissing. Diluc giggled. "Oh, don't be such a scaredy cat. Just keep an eye out for me, ok?"  Diluc turned back to the barrels in front of him. The bottled were on the higher shelf, so he reached over to grab a ladder, struggling to spread the two sides of the rungs and setting it up below the shelf. He climbed ontop.

Father had always kept the special grape juice in the cellars below the house. He said that he wasn't allowed to drink it, that it was for adults only- and he only ever served it when they had guests. Diluc had always been curious, how the special grape juice had made the guests so happy, and even the stressed ones- usually travelling merchants or business partners- seemed to loosen up. The tension on their shoulders would disappear, and their cheeks would turn rosy with laughter. Was it really that good? Diluc was curious. Diluc reached up, as high as he could, his tongue sticking out as he strained his fingers towards the bottle.

"...Diluc? Please come down. What if you fall? We're gonna get in trouble!" Kaeya said meekly. "Geez, I know you wanna try too! Just gimme a sec, ok?"  Diluc grabbed hold of the neck of the bottle. It was a nice one, with a dark, olive green crystal bottle and a red silk ribbon tied around it. It looked elegant, refined. It reminded him of father. Suddenly, the door began to creak open. Diluc tensed as he felt the light from the hallway hit his back. "...Young Masters?" Diluc squeaked, wobbling from where he stood on the ladder. Kaeya gasped. "Diluc!" Suddenly, he was airborn. He had keeled over from the top of the ladder, and had fallen. He squinted his eyes shut, ready for the sharp spike of pain when he hit the ground-

It never came. Diluc blearily opened his eyes, groaning a bit from the pounding from his head. Why, had he dreamed about that day? Maybe it was because, when he had hit his head, and broken his leg, it was similar to the pain he was feeling now. Later, when he was old enough to drink, he finally found out the true wonders of alcohol- and immediately decided he didn't like it. From underneath his blanket, he reached up to feel his forehead, and was surprised to feel package of cold mint jelly. Wait. Blanket? Mint jelly? He shot up from the bed. What the heck? He looked down, fisting the brown cotton shirt he was wearing. Right. He had burned the other one. This was his backup. Where was he, exactly?

Diluc looked around. The walls were painted an off white, beige color, but upon closer inspection, the texture was similar to tree bark. He quickly stood, grabbing the braided chord from the nightstand and using it to tie up his hair as he opened the door.As he stepped outside, he was immediately hit with the smell of roasted meat. He followed the scent to another room, the kitchen, where he found a petite girl with white hair, crouched in front of the stove. She giggled to herself. "Please become delicious, Mr. Fish, Mr. Pigeon! Let's all do out best!" Her voice was light, tinkling. It wasn't unpleasant, or garish- like some of the ladies he had met at his father's parties. As if sensing his thoughts, the girl stood abruptly. She spun around, clasping her hands around her back. He noticed that her hair had a bell ornament woven in it, made of silver and engraved with intricate patterns. Although, thinking back to his studies, he couldn't figure out which region it hailed from.

"Ah, you're awake, Mr. Sparky. How are you?" 

Her eyes. They were the brightest shade of blue. 

Where... had he seen that shade before?

 had he seen that shade before?