- four

'Maybe I should have said something scathing. Would he have even felt bad?'

A sudden strong gust of wind blows, sending Felicity's broom on a crooked swing downwards towards the too green grass of the Hogwarts lawn.

She lets out a scream, but the sound is quickly turned into a grunt as she lands on the floor within three seconds of the fall.

Felicity knew this was going to happen.

She hated brooms, and flying, and wind. And most importantly she hated Oliver Wood for cursing her with the stupid idea that she has to be on a broom to process her thoughts.

Before they dated, Felicity would have never thought of voluntarily getting on a broomstick-- a little accident with a first year flying class and someone's owl on a letter delivery had left her traumatized and completely unwilling.

But Oliver had been so gentle, coaxing her onto his broomstick and letting her hold onto him, even staying close to the ground and going great grandmother snail pace when she knew he loved the feeling of zooming around in the clouds.

It was his favorite way to spend time together, the two of them suspended in the air while she talked through whatever feelings had been set off by a letter from her mom or a comment from a snobby sixth year.

And now since they'd broken up, it seemed Felicity simply didn't know what she was feeling. In the last two weeks since they'd been back at Hogwarts, no one had been able to get anything out of her. Not because she was trying to be secretive, but because Felicity Moon had no idea how to interpret her own feelings.

So, in a last-ditch effort to get her head working straight, she'd borrowed a broomstick from the quidditch shed and had been flying approximately two feet off of the ground when mother nature threw her down.

Felicity let out a deep sigh, abandoning the thought of getting up and simply letting herself stay on the ground. There was still a slight breeze blowing and the sun was shining warm on her face.

It made her think of last fall, a season full of quidditch games, parties, and Hogsmeade trips.

"Oh my gosh are you okay?" The voice is panicked but still oh so familiar, and Felicity opens her eyes and squints at the sun as the Scottish boy rushes over to peer down at her. "Lissy?"

She hadn't thought about what she looked like to passerby, still laying in the position gravity had decided, torso turned sideways with one leg over the broom that was half under her and half next to her, hair strewn into the dirt and arms still stretched out to catch herself.

In other words- a wreck.

"Oh hey," she speaks, her voice barely traveling over the sound of nature around them.

"Are you okay?" He repeats, and every voice in her head is saying no, but she gives what she hopes is a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, I'm okay." She takes the hand he holds out for her, basking in the familiarity of his grasp. His broom calluses hadn't faded at all over summer, and it only made her more nostalgic for his company.

"Were you flying?" He asks, picking up the borrowed broom from the ground as she tries to brush the dirt off of her sweater.

"No, I was just cuddling with the broom." She says sarcastically.

He seems taken aback at the response, quickly looking down at the wooden handle he was holding before responding.

"No, you're right, sorry. I just thought you hated flying."

"I do." She says, grabbing the broom out of his hands, careful to make sure they don't have any more unnecessary physical contact.

He still looks confused, but Felicity doesn't explain further as she starts walking back toward the equipment shed.

"Have a good practice," she calls over her shoulder as she exits, refusing to look back at the man who's had her head so twisted up the last few months.

Maybe flying did help, or maybe she knocked some common sense into herself when she hit the ground; either way, Felicity finally realized what she was feeling.

Felicity Moon was sad.

True, that's nothing earth-shattering, but she'd finally realized that being at Hogwarts had her missing her old life- the one with Oliver in it. But she was still the same Felicity as when she was dating him, so why should her life have to change just because they broke up?

She entered her dormitory with a fresh pep in her step as she addressed her two roommates.

"I'm sad!"

The two girls stared back at her in confusion. She didn't sound sad.

"But I don't have to be! You guys are right! I'm still me, and Oliver damn well doesn't deserve my tears. Screw him!"

"Where did this come from?" Veda asks, but Penelope yells over her.

"Yeah!! Screw him!! Let's party!"

a/n: I'm so sorry for not updating, I'm officially a college student/ college athlete, and it is kicking my butt right now. But yay for a chapter and one I'm actually happy with, Go team!