Campfire Memories (pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"Okay, I am too! We both have something serious to talk about, so let's count to 3, then share the topics and go from there." William says, hoping Catherine get's on board with this because this has been killing him all evening.

"Ok! You start," Catherine says. To lighten the mood, she shoulder taps William, causing a grin to spread across his face.

"Fine. 3."

"2."

"1," As William says this, both prepare for the dynamic of their relationship to be changed forever.

"Marriage."

Both William and Catherine look at each other with a bit of disbelieve when they reveal the same topic. Inside, they are both excited at the fact they both want to discuss the same thing.  After a moment, they keep trying to figure out if the other's expression is positive or negative. They stay silent and just keep looking into the other's eyes for another moment.

A panic hits Catherine and she turns away. Something in her gut makes her feel as though William doesn't feel the same way as she does. In the previous moments, she had moved slightly closer to William. Now, because of this thought, she backs away a few inches.

"Catherine, what is it?" William ask her, almost positive they felt the same way on this subject.

"William, I honestly don't know. It's nothing. It doesn't matter," Catherine says, sitting up a little more straight.

"Whatever it is, it does matter to you. That means it matters to me. Tell me and we can figure it out together." William says to her. As he neared the end, William moved the inches that Catherine had backed away from him. They now sat on the same hay bail, barely any space between the two. TO sho her how much she matters to him, especially in this moment, William places his hand on Catherine's back and around her waist. He instantly feels her relax.

"We both said marriage as our topic to discuss right now," Catherine states out loud as she looks up at William.

"Yes, we did," William simply replies.

"My instant thought was good. We are in an amazing place and have never been happier together. You even said it the other day. Then, I got hit with a panic and realized that there could be a chance of you saying that marriage isn't what you want right now," Catherine pauses. "While I'm going, I'm gonna tell you how I feel. William, I love you with everything I have, more if possible. I have been thinking about marriage with you for as long as I remember. Even when we broke up it was always on my mind. Not once has this thought been anything but me wanting nothing more than to marry you. I love you."

"Catherine. I feel the exact same way. How badly I want to marry you is insane. I love you so much. The panic you had it was for nothing. I love you." William says, pulling Catherine closer to him.

With a few tears in her eyes, Catherine looks up at William. They lock eyes and smile. At the same time, both lean in for a kiss that lasts a bit. They both are reveling in this moment. A new type of love for the other has been unlocked. They never want this to end. They both pull away from the kiss with bigger smiles then before.

"Wow," Catherine says with a breathy laugh as she rests her head on to William's shoulder.

"Yes, indeed! I'm glad we are both in agreement on this one!" William laughs. "There is one thought that I have with it though. It's something very important to me. I would like it to happen after I finish my RAF Training next year."

"Yes, I agree that is a good idea darling. I couldn't think of a better time. I want you to be able to have 100% focus on your training. I know how important that it is to you." Catherine responds.

"Thank you, darling. I appreciate that you can respect that wish."

"As your father would say, we are getting our practice in for the real thing!" Catherine says. Both William and her laugh at this. "But now seriously, tell me when you're gonna do it."

"That my love," William starts. "You will have to wait and find out."

Word Count- 1374

Hey everyone! I'm finally back writing! Sorry the past few year hasn't really had any stories posted. I'm planning to write a bit more now that at I should have some free time. I just got back from London, so I wrote this on the plane. I have a longhorn layover and another flight to go, but I'm planning to write the second half of this story. It will have the same title, but will say part 2, so hopefully I am able to write that during my layover an can have it posted in the next 24 hours! I hope you guys all enjoyed pt. 1!

-Courtney

Follow me on Twitter, TikTok, and Instagram! My handle is @love_wales5 on all of the platforms!