Chapter 5

Spending a week in the woods, camping with Rachel, has been a tradition since she could walk. Jean only participated in the first two. After the divorce you weren't sure you wanted to keep the tradition but Jean made a few good points on why you should continue it. Now, years later, it's the best way that you get to bond with Rachel beyond the distracting devices and all of her shows and music. You do your best to keep up with all of it but she is constantly changing. You encourage it, of course. But it's hard to feel connected with your daughter. Except on these trips.

You rent the same spot every year. The two of you build the tent together and make it cozy inside. Then you set up the fire pit and she finds the best spots for the chairs. The two of you make food together over the fire. Tell jokes and scary stories. Remain completely unplugged for the entire trip. At night she snuggles close and you cherish the way she holds you tight because you know there will be a day a few years from now when she won't. She'll be upset with you because you'll be upset with her. Things will get tough, as they do with growing up, and you won't get as many hugs as you do now. And she'll continue to grow up and find her own way in life and her snuggles and these camping trips will be nothing but a distant memory.

Between meals the two of you make up games, talk to each other, and you teach her what you can think of at the moment. The two of you swim in the lake nearby and have fun splashing each other. A dog runs up to her when she's eating her food and you already know that she's going to start asking for a dog. Luckily, you're able to convince her that she's still too young for one.

All too soon, it's Friday morning and the two of you are packing up the campsite. It's sad putting away the fun week but it's what has to be done. Once your truck is packed up, you hit the road and she's finally able to use her phone again. The entire drive home she is blasting her favorite songs and singing at the top of her lungs. Once you're back in town you're reminded of your plans and at a stop light you message Wanda to see if she's still up for drinks. You don't get a reply until you're pulling up to your apartment building.

Too nervous to check, you unload the car and get Rachel comfortable before you check your messages. I'll see you at seven? Your shoulders drop from the relief. You call your sister, Kate, and ask if she can babysit for a couple of hours.

"Oh... does someone finally have a date?" She inquires and it makes you roll your eyes.

"No, I'm just grabbing drinks with some friends," you clarify.

"You're so boring," she groans. "Alright, I'll babysit. I don't mind spending some one on one with my favorite niece!"

"She's your only niece," you laugh at her enthusiasm.

"Exactly," she says. "I'd have other favorite nieces, maybe even nephews, but no. You refuse to make anymore."

"Gross, you do realize that you're upset with me for not getting laid, right?" The line goes quiet and you wonder if she's even there anymore. "Hello? Kate?"

"I'm here, I just had to go scrub my brain with bleach to remove the last few minutes from my memory." She says nonchalant, as if that was the most normal thing to do. "Anyway, I'll be there in a few. You better leave me some money for food."

"Of course, I'll see you in a bit. Thank you so much," you say your goodbyes and hang up. You walk to Rachel's room and knock on her door and enter once she says you can. "Hey kiddo, aunt Kate is coming over to watch you for a bit. I have something... I mean I will be... uh, I have to do something." You cringe at how you're fumbling telling her that you're going out. Normally, to avoid this, you would plan to do something on a night you don't have her. But you only have yourself to blame for this.

"Okay, have fun," she says as she scrolls through her phone.

"Okay," you almost want to laugh at how easy that was. "Okay," you repeat yourself. "I'm going to shower so can you let your aunt in if she gets her before I'm out?"