The Homeless of the Syndicate

Chapter 1 - Guests From Eastside

"Are we really going to that kind of place?"

The camera trembles in Sacha's hand. She had seen videos of Syndicate before, but when the huge, abandoned factory covered in graffiti actually looms in front of her, she can't help but feel fear.

"It's not the same as it used to be, Sacha. Syndicate has changed. The gangs are toast. The Executive Committee runs this place now."

Seasoned reporter Mike snuffs out his cigarette and throws it on the pavement, but young Sacha is still uneasy.

"What about the drifter camp? You know how hard they're fighting the Executive Committee. You can practically hear them from Eastside..."

"They're just a mob. They're no match against the Executive Committee. Not a threat at all."

Seeing the disdain on his face, Sacha can't help but blurt out:

"If you're so sure about that, why don't you go interview the drifter camp? It's full of those 'thrilling scenes' you love. A lot better than here, no?"

"What do you know? Syndicate violence has been done to death. If you search for 'Syndicate' online nowadays, all you see are posts about how dangerous and violent Syndicans are. Most of them are produced by my colleagues. Even murders in broad daylight don't get much attention anymore. People are totally desensitized at this point..."

"If you want views, you have to do something different. Got it?"

"And that's why you want to go find the Homeless? Are you planning to send their pictures to the pedos at Phantom Entertainment?" Sacha looks visibly irritated. "Those disgusting tabloids will shut down sooner or later!"

"...Shut down my ***! It's been so many years, and those trashy tabloids are all still alive and well. But I'm not planning to make money from them. I'm officially a reporter. I won't betray my boss that easily."

"Huh? Then why are going to find the Homeless?" Sacha the intern reporter asks curiously.

"Haven't you heard of 'humanitarianism'? Even in Eastside, not everyone is a beast. There are always bleeding hearts." Mike winks at Sacha. "Like you."

"There are folks who've been calling for aid to Syndicate for years—they blast the City Council for being incompetent, complain about others being uncaring, and portray themselves as holier-than-thou good-doers."

"They're doing the right thing!" Sacha protests. Back in school, she had been part of a student club that championed Syndicate rights. Mike's mockery of such efforts really triggered her.