Chapter Ten: Ignorance is Bliss

Nick had met enough shitty dads for the rest of their life. But this was a whole other breed.

Wilson was like a handful of the men they knew at college, or at least found themselves in the same room as. Crazy into football with a surfer accent, a party popping personality, and somehow always with a beer in one hand and a blunt in the other. But at the same time, he looked like the male love interest in movies from the 1970s, with the voice to boot. Still, behind all his smooth looks and frat boy businessman personality, Nick thought this guy may have been one of the biggest douchebags on Mars.

"Not the type for handshakes, I get ya!" Wilson pulled his hand away, still smiling. "Well, uh, if you could just point me in the direction of—"

"I'm sorry, I'm really having a hard time understanding." Nick didn't even blink while they talked. Just stared, with their hands folded. "You're Ella's dad?"

"Yep!" Oddly chipper for a question like that. "See, it's a very complicated story, but to make it short, I noticed her on the TV and just had to pop down. And finding your office was a piece of cake, too. So convenient!"

The balls this dude must have. "You—uh—okay—I don't think you can just—she's busy. Actually. I think she's very busy at the moment."

"With what?" Wilson smiled. "Isn't she, like, twelve?"

"Fourteen." Nick muttered under their breath, and then responded with clearer tone. "I don't know. But today probably isn't a very good day to, uh, hold an audience with her."

Wilson leaned closer, grinning to the side. "Listen. Nicky. Can I call you Nicky?"

"No."

"Nicky, I'm sure this all must come as a big shock." Wilson moved his hands as he spoke. "I don't know what your relationship is with my kid, but it must be pretty close, since, you know, you're speaking for her."

Oh, my God, this pretentious fuck is really speaking words at me right now. Nick thought, but didn't respond. They just took the words in. And compared them to a grain of salt.

"See," Wilson started again, making a show of every word, "I'm just a guy who's had a whole bunch of stuff happen in his life. I met my first wife in the 2040s, and then met my next one in the 2050s, you could say I'm a bit of a ladies man. But underneath all that... I'm a guy... who has a soft spot for children."

"That makes no sense," Nick said out loud without meaning to. "I mean, it makes perfect sense. Keep talking."

Wilson did, without caring. "So when I saw my little girl on the television, I knew right away it was her. She's my spitting image, you see. And then, her name came on screen, and I was right all along. I'm sure you can understand that all I want is to bring my girl home. Or maybe just to find out if she wants that. I'm here to make things right with her."

Now, regardless of Nick's strongly correct opinion of Wilson, they could at least understand that. They knew Ella, and they could probably infer that Ella would think the same of him, but she could be unpredictable at times. Maybe she did want this. He's back for her, isn't he?