Chapter Two: The Orphanage and the File

Ella often changed where she slept when areas became less safe.

Sometimes she slept in trees, and this was one of those nights, or sometimes she slept in the gym where she could get to the showers quicker. Sometimes she didn't sleep at all.

And nothing was too suspicious, since her friends were convinced she continued to stay at a certain orphanage in Norton, that didn't much care what happened to the kids who lived there.

That day, Ella informed Nick she'd be off doing something, but never specified what. I now introduce you to what she's doing.

The orphanage in Norton, tucked into an apartment complex that served less comfortable and appealing as one would think. The walls were brick and worn, covered in ivy, and the windows hadn't been cleaned in a while. As nice as this new planet seemed, people will be people. An orphanage or foster system building had to be placed in every city, and Norton was a city that cut corners, and, when Ella thought about it, didn't really deserve saving.

But for the first time in a few years, Ella was yet again face to face with the orphanage in Norton, where she'd spent years of her childhood that could have been much better if she'd decided to leave a little earlier.

The door was wooden and cracked, and from the inside, you could hear children playing and chattering. Ella twisted the copper doorknob, and as it creaked open, the sounds stopped.

Ella, in that moment, looked nothing like the children here.

Her hair was neat and pinned back, her sling was decorated in fabric stickers, and as dusty as her green jacket looked, it was sewed in every rip.

The orphans stared in awe at this kid walking past them, who, despite her frown, looked overall happy. They'd recognized her from the TV, and learned of what she'd done. Some wondered why she'd have business here, and some wondered why in the world she'd ever come back. After all, didn't she find what she was looking for, or some form of it? Hadn't the coolest kid in the world found a home yet?

Ella caught eyes of some of the children as she walked past, and they all seemed just as surprised as she was. But she knew exactly where she was going—up the creaky spiral stairs towards the bedrooms and the caretaker's office.

Someone, however, seemed to stop her as she went up, and as the chatter continued.

"Ella?" Someone took her hand, a pale-faced kid with no hair. "What are you doing back?"

Ella blinked a bit. "You're Penelope, right?"

Penelope nodded, seeming happy to see Ella again. "Yes!" She beamed, squeezing Ella's hand tighter. "I'm so glad you remembered me! I saw you on the news, and I had to do a double take, because that couldn't have been you!"

"I'm surprised you recognized me," Ella muttered, a little less excited to see Penelope.

"Right, well, there's only so much that three years can do to someone's appearance." Penelope laughed, kicking dirt off her boots onto the hardwood. "Since you left, I've been pretty lonely, but now all the kids answer to me! I'm like a queen, Ella, it's so much fun! Are you back forever now?"

"...I'm sorry, but I'm not." Ella sighed, not really that sorry. "I mean, you know how bad this place sucks. And I have people out there waiting for me."

"Oh, yeah, the scientist. That's so weird, I didn't think you'd ever end up having that kind of power!"

"Yeah." And that was the sticking point. Penelope never seemed to notice, even when Ella tried to tell her, that Ella had the ability to control and utilize wind. Ella wasn't one to hold a grudge, but I don't know what else to call what she's doing now. "Anyway, I gotta go see the caretaker, whoever it is nowadays."