The Cross: Lemonade

Start from the beginning

"Willow, I'm sorry." Pope pats my back, "I didn't mean what I said. I know JJ won't hit you. That was a low blow."

I nod, "Yeah it was, Pope. JJ is a good person, he cares about all of us, we're all he has."

"Are you okay?" Sarah sits down on my other side, grabbing my leg to inspect my bite wound.

"Careful." Pope grimaces, "I'm pretty sure that'll get infected."

"Yeah, you're lucky. It didn't cut into muscle too much." Sarah mutters while twisting my leg.

"Yeah, I'm," I gasp in pain, "so lucky I got bit by an alligator and our car is underwater."

"Do you have something to wrap it with," Sarah asks, "to stop the bleeding? It can--" 

John B hands her his bandana, she avoids eye contact and gets to work on my leg, ignoring me when I cry out in pain.

"Oh, and speak of the fricking devil."

I look up when someone honks at us, JJ and Kie back up the truck to the Twinkie before jumping out.

"Look who it is, the tortoise and the tortoise. Just a couple hours late." Pope huffs, "Where the hell were you guys?"

"Paternal complications." Kie points to JJ.

He avoids looking our way and grabs something from the bed of the truck, "Luke was at the Chateau."

"Oh, great!" Pope angrily exclaims, "While you were having family time with your pops, Willow got bit by a gator."

JJs eyes go wide when he finally looks at me, "Like, for real?"

"Does it look like we're joking?" Sarah points at my bloody leg.

"Okay, what the hell happened?" Kie asks in disbelief.

"What happened? I got bit by a gator!" I yell back, my patience out the window while pain nips at every nerve in my body.

"She got bit by a gator!"

"I dunno why I'm being yelled at. I put my ass on the line."

JJ runs his hand through his hair while he starts to get mad.

"You're being yelled at because it was 20 minutes--"

"We got here as fast as we could." Kie cuts Pope off.

I start to cry when everyone starts to yell at each other, JJ locks eyes with me and frowns. 

"Shut up! Seriously, guys, I can't take it anymore, alright everyone just cut it out for a second." JJ laughs out of anger, "Look, I just helped my dad leave this island for good. Like, he's not ever coming back. He's straight up like the Spanish. Just, Bon voyage." 

What...

"That's not the right language." Sarah eyes him.

"All we got... And I know for a fact all I got is you guys, okay? You're it." JJ looks around, his eyes locking with mine before continuing, "And I've come too close to losing you, all of you. I mean, shit, like Kie almost drowned in a sewer looking for Rafe's gun. Pope, you were kidnapped in Charleston. Sarah your brother tried drowning you. John B you were jumped by the Kooks. Willow, you were almost dinner for a freaking gator, and.. you.. well we all know what else you've been through. So, this blaming each other is some Kook-ass bullshit, alright? We don't do that. Okay? We're Pogues... Sorry, that was a lot right now. I didn't mean to..." He looks around, embarrassed for ranting.

"Well-done." Pope starts clapping.

"I gotta be honest. That was the best freaking speech you have ever given." John B joins in on clapping. "Also, you should think about, like, Rosetta Stone because your Spanish and French are flip-flopped."

"We should bon voyage out of here." Sarah jokes, making all of us laugh.

"Alright, let's get this damn Twinkie out of here."