"How'd you get that scar on your head?" Ellie then asked, pointing to Joel's temple, and you went rigid. Joel ignored her completely, but looked back at you again to check if you were alright. You smiled at him, but your lips dropped into a thin line when he looked away. Ellie noticed the tension. "What? Is it something lame?" she joked. "Like you fell down the stairs or something?"

"I didn't fall down any stairs."

~"Okay, so what then?"

"Someone shot at me and missed."

"Holy shit, y/n, did you shoot at him?!" Ellie cried.

"No, I didn't," you told her.

"Oh. But anyway, see, that's cool. You shoot back?"

"Yeah," Joel said.

"You get him?"

"No, I missed too," he said, finger tapping the trigger of the gun. "It happens more often than you think."

"Cause you suck at shooting or, like, in general?"

"In general."

"You know," Ellie said slyly, "seeing as it's just the three of us, I was thinking I should pro..." 

"No," you and Joel said in unison, tightening your grips on your weapons. She was too young to fight. 

"Joel," you said, pointing to a store just off the main road. "Cumberland Farms. That's where you left a load of supplies, right?"

"Mhmm," Joel hummed. "Hang back a minute," he said to Ellie as she went to walk in with him. "I gotta grab some stuff I stashed."

"Stashed?" she repeated. "Why do you have stuff stashed here?"

"You ask a lot of goddamn questions."

"Yes, I do," Ellie said proudly, and shaking his head, Joel walked inside. Ellie followed, and there went your plans to stay outside as you stepped into the murky store. "So, are you gonna answer me or what?" Ellie said. Joel, who quickly checked down every aisle, made sure no one was around before slinging the shotgun over his shoulder. 

"We hide supplies on routes in case we find ourselves short on gear, which we currently are 'cause..." 

"No way!" Ellie cried, her sudden excitement making you jump. She held up an old game in her hand, eagerly showing you, and trying his best to avoid conversation, Joel used you as a distraction and wandered off to find his stash. "You ever play this one?" Ellie asked and you shook your head. "I had a friend who knew everything about this game. There's this one character named Mileena who takes off her mask and she has monster teeth, and then she swallows you whole and barfs out your bones!" 

You nodded slowly. Since the apocalypse, you weren't the biggest fan of monster games. You glanced over at Joel, who, rubbing the nape of his neck, was staring in confusion at the ground.

"You forgot where you put your stuff?" you asked, and he shook his head. 

"No. I'm just zeroing in on it," he said. Ellie side eyed you and you put your finger to your lips.

"It's been a couple of years," you whispered.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna take a look around, see if there's anything good," Ellie said, and you waved her away.

"Be my guest, but trust me, it's all been picked over already." 

"Maybe, maybe not," she answered. "Is there anything bad in here?"

"Just you," Joel quipped.

"Ah. Getting funnier," Ellie replied, giving him the finger as she wandered away.