Natalia&Maya Joseph&Jamie Millie&Sadie

Start from the beginning

I stood in front of the camera for a while. Gaten was there with his girlfriend. Noah was there. David was there. Maya was there. Joe was there. Caleb was there. Natalia and Charlie showed up together a few minutes later, and I couldn't help feeling a little jealous. I wish I could show up with Millie in the exact same way.

Grace, Joseph and Jamie came together. I hung out with them for a while. I talked to Emma Myers. I tripped over Emily Blunt's dress. Still Millie hadn't shown up.

"Noah, do you know when Millie's supposed to get here?" I asked.

"Dunno. Her team showed up pretty late after she "accidentally" sent them to my place." he looked my dress up and down. "You look like a lesbian pride flag."

"What?"

"Your dress. It's white at the top and violet at the bottom. And your hair is orange. You're literally screaming lesbian right now."

I smiled as Millie's limo finally pulled up. I probably audibly gasped when she got out. She was wearing white glittery pants and a matching blazer with a plain white corset underneath and had her hair up in a high ponytail.

"Look how the tables have turned. Usually I'm the one in the dress." she said, hands in her pockets, facing the cameras.

When I didn't say anything, she said "I feel like suits give a different kind of confidence."

"Is that why you're wearing it?" I asked, playfully.

"I'm actually wearing it because once you said girls in suits are hot." she glanced at me out of the corner of her eye, whic made my stomach flip.

We both went our separate ways and started talking to different people we know. At one point, Millie was walking past me and quickly slipped a note into my hand. I tried to keep my facial expression from changing and pretended not to notice.

A while later, we were all seated and ready for names to be read. When Maya won her award, I clapped for her and hugged her. She confidently stood up, then Natalia smiled at her, and Maya's shuffled onto stage, slightly flushed and smiling at people and waving.

When Finn, Caleb and Joe got their awards, we all cheered and clapped for them. When David, Noa, Gaten and Natalia lost, we complained to each other and joked about the whole award show being rigged and invented by talking pigs.

Millie got nominated for best kiss in a new movie. When she lost, we all started grumbling about how unfair the whole thing was. Noah, on the other hand, was clutching his stomach and laughing because she lost to a couple of cartoon characters from a new Disney movie.

Finally, it was my turn. I waited in anticipation as they called out the nominees. My hands were shaking. Caleb was sitting in between me and Millie, but Millie managed to reach over him and hold my hand.

Adam Sandler was presenting the award. "...Sadie Sink."

It took a second to process. Millie smiled at me. Not in the usual bitchy envious smile that everyone in the room who had lost was giving me at that moment. Her smile was sweet and full of pride and her eyes were glazed over. She was genuinely happy for me. I've never wanted to cry so bad.

After collecting the award and giving my speech, a few more awards were given and Millie and Louis won best duo. While Millie was giving her acceptance speech, I unfolded the little note she gave me.

Meet me tonight.

xxx

Usually, after an award show, there's an after party at some particularly rich celebritiy's house. Instead of going there, I was sneaking into a back room with Millie. Millie was giggling a lot, so she was probably just the slightest bit drunk. When we got to the door of a supply closet, I pushed her up against the door and her hand slid to the doorknob and she opened it. What we saw inside the room made my jaw drop.

Just as the door opened, Natalia pulled away from making out with Maya and was fixing her hair.

"Uh... occupied?" Maya said, flushed.

"Um..." Millie looked confused as ever.

"Did you see anything?" asked Natalia.

"Nope." I said.

"Did we see anything?" she gestured at herself and Maya.

"Nope." Millie said.

"Do we understand each other?"

"Yup." I said.

"Clear?"

"Crystal." I closed the door and we tiptoed away, giggling quietly to ourselves.

"Sadie? Millie? Are you guys there?" we heard Gaten shout down the hall.

"Gaten?" I called him.

"There you guys are." he jogged up to us. "You have to come to the party."

"The after party?"

"It's at Dave Bautista's oceanview mansion. You guys have to come with."

"Why? Are you gonna do it?"

"Do what?" asked Millie.

"Yes, and I need you guys for support." Gaten explained, ignoring Millie.

"What is Gaten doing?" she asked again.

"I thought you chickened out and you weren't going to do it."

"Yes, but then Joseph gave me this talk about commitment then he confessed that he's been in a secret thing with Jamie and they're adopting a kid together and I'm really really drunk and I think I have my confidence back now." he explained in one breath.

"Wait, what? Joseph and Jamie are in a secret relationship?"

"Did I just out them? Don't tell them I told you." said Gaten.

"They're adopting a kid?" Millie asked.

Gaten's phone vibrated and his screen lit up. "That's Lizzy. She's waiting for me in the car. We have to go."

I took Millies hand and we raced down the hallway, and didn't stop running until we reached Gaten's car, where Millie and I crashed into the back seat, laughing. Gaten got behind the steering wheel and drove us to the party