Prologue

Starcharter raced through the sky, her black, silver-speckled wings ripping a tear in the bright, autumn sun. She broke into a dive in midair, her plum purple scales taking in the rays of sunshine as she frantically flapped to the shoreside.

Her dragonet was tucked safely inside a few scraps of fabric she had salvaged from her rush to get here.

She dove into the cold waters of the Sea Kingdom, where Coho was waiting for her.

She swam in a circle. Her eyes scanning the rolling waves and the turning tides.

"Stop right there, NightWing!" Called a distant voice. "You're under arrest for violation of the SeaWing-NightWing Peace Treaty."

Starcharter felt a sweat bead roll down her snout. No, please. Moons, no, this cannot be happening. Of course, Starcharter knew she and Coho had violated the treaty but she needed to get her dragonet to safety.

"Momma?" The little dragonet poked her snout out from the makeshift sling.

Starcharter looked down, "Oh, Teardrop, my dear, you need to run. You need to go find Daddy and tell him that Momma will be home by sundown. Got it, my little jellyfish?"

"B-but Momma..." Teardrop was looking up at her mother, tears welling in her little violet eyes.

Starcharter craned her neck to see that the SeaWing guard was approaching ever closer, "No buts, my jellyfish."

"Put your claws where I can see them!"

Starcharter placed a tender kiss upon her daughter's nose, "Go, now!" She commanded her daughter. Teardrop jumped from her place next to her mother's chest, her little wings beating vigorously against the salty sea air.

Coho knew his daughter was sad, but he waited with her for sundown. He as waiting as well for Starcharter's return, but when sundown passed he continued to wait. Past midnight. Past the first day. Past the first week. Past the next three months.

But Starcharter never came.

{WC: 331}

Hey guys! Here's a new book for you guys! Please follow and give a thank you to @The_FanWing for creating the prologue! Have a great day or night!