Chapter 12: Escape

Start from the beginning

"We were just thinking about you," the detective says with a hint of sarcasm.

"That makes two of us," Ada agrees with a small smile as the facility around them starts to rumble. "I was getting worried."

"Y'know we make a great team, but we gotta ask you something," Leon piped in the conversation, his expression still serious.

Ada walked closer to them. "The way's clear. Please, tell me you got it."

"Oh, we got it," Leon scoffed.

Ada outstretched her hand towards the blonde. "Let me verify the G sample and we'll get the hell out of here."

"Yeah, but before we do that... we ran into Annette," Jasper began as he took a step forward. "She claims you're not FBI. Is that right, Ada?" The detective interrogated as he said her name coldly at the end of his sentence.

Ada shook her head with a small smile on her face. "Oh, you two..." Jasper watched carefully as she reached to her side and pulled out her pistol, pointing it at him. "Why couldn't you just hand over the sample?"

Jasper raised his gun in response before he hissed at the woman, "Because I always knew that you were up to no good the second we saw you."

"And I realized, as much as I wanted to trust you..." Leon added as he whipped out his pistol and pointed it at Ada. "I didn't."

Ada switched her aim between them, but there was no point. She knew that she is outnumbered by the two men. "I really hoped it wouldn't end up like this," she spoke, sounding genuinely regretful.

"So after all this time... we were just a couple of pawns to you?" Jasper interrogated.

"Look, I am just doing my job," Ada reasoned.

"And we're doing ours as well, so drop that damn gun!" Leon demanded the woman. "We're taking you in."

"Just hand over the sample, Leon," Ada threatened as she switched her aim towards Leon. "I don't want to hurt either of you."

Suddenly, the ground underneath them rumbled as the bridge behind them gave away. The metal plates tilting because of the pressure on them, making them stumble a bit. As Jasper regained his balance, he looked at Ada and Leon once again, raising their guns at each other once again. This time, Leon holstered his gun and stood in front of the woman with a strong stance, making Jasper panic instantly.

"Leon, what are you—"

"Shoot me, but I don't think you can," Leon interrupted him as he challenged the woman, showing no sign of fear.

The detective watched anxiously as Ada stared at the blonde for a moment, some contemplation was visible to her face until her finger almost squeezed the trigger, and the gun lowered to her side.

Jasper lets out a sigh of relief, but it was quick to disappear as a gunshot rang and a bullet hit Ada's shoulder. She slowly reached up to touch it while Leon and Jasper turned around, finding Annette leaning against a wall with a gun in her hand.

The bridge underneath them continued to rumble and it gave away, tilting sideways as it prepared to drop. "Ada!" Leon shouted. Jasper managed to grab a hold of the railing, but Ada slipped down the titled bridge and almost fell off it until Leon grabbed her hand. The G sample vial slipped out of Leon's hand and into the abyss below them.

"No one gets that sample now," Jasper heard Annette say before she crumpled to the floor. He managed to moved himself up to a more stable part of the bridge.

"Hold on... I think I can—" Leon struggled, trying to lift Ada with his uninjured shoulder, but the bridge started to collapse even more and Leon desperately called for his partner, "Jasper, help me!"