Chapter I: The Faraway Land Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Of course, we know that that jerk wasn't here, do you take us for fools?" The leader frowned and scratched the back of his neck. "We have been told that he escaped from his debt and now as his guarantor, you will be the one to pay for it. Do you understand what am I saying just now?"

She bit her lips and hugged her crying sister even more. She felt helpless, she didn't know what to do. She wanted to cry and shout for help but she couldn't. Not that she couldn't but she shouldn't. If she dared to make a wrong move, she would be dead on the spot. The only thing she could do was to hold her sister and caress the back of the worried child to comfort her.

"How much did he borrow?"

"Oh dear, it was only a hundred thousand pesos. However, he stopped paying two months ago and the interest piled up."

Her eyes widened and shook her head. Only? He must be kidding. There's no way they could pay a large amount like that.

She knew she had a bastard father since she was born but she couldn't believe he could do this to them-loaning from a dangerous organization and suddenly running away from his responsibility-he was indeed the worst. She didn't even know where the money had gone to and the good-for-nothing head of the family didn't even tell them about this matter.

Oh right, what does she expect? Not only his father was an unemployed drunkard man but he was also a gambler. She had always wondered where did their father get the money to use for his crippling addiction. Finally, her lingering question had been answered. He probably wasted all of the money on a casino and when nothing was left, he just ran away like a coward.

As of this moment, it would be impossible to contact him and if they raise this concern to her relatives on her father's side, they would be waiting for a crow to turn white. Their relatives had long abandoned them.

"We have been patiently reminding him about the money but as human beings, we had our limits too. But now he suddenly disappeared like a bubble, what a dickhead." The leader who seemed to be losing his patience tapped her head two times and forced a smile. "Since you have already informed us of the situation don't make us wait for too long, alright? We will be waiting for the payment and don't even dare to run away nor report this to the police or else..." He drew an invisible line to his neck with a devilish facial expression. She knew exactly what it meant.

They took her contact number and left. Days after that, her mother, who was a hardworking woman but a caring girlfriend to a different man decided to take her younger sister away and start a new life without her. She knew her mother had been cheating on his father and had been seeing someone else she's familiar with. There was once a time that she secretly opened her mother's phone and there she saw from the message boxes the conversation of her mother and her uncle George. They were so sweet, she could cry. Even though it was wrong, her mother seemed to be in a healthy relationship with him. That's why she just let it slide and pretended blind. Her father had suspected it too, he just couldn't find proof to prove it and every time he almost did, it was her who always covered up her mother's mess. Every time her father brought the matter to the table, her mother would always deny the accusation. Reina knew everything but she would remain silent everytime.

Hearing her parents argue over matters and watching them destroy some things in their house had become a normal routine to her. She had always woke up in the middle of the night, even if school exams were waiting for her the next morning, just to pick up some broken bottles and trash. She had accustomed herself to tending her younger sister back to sleep every time the kid woke up due to their loud voices. And when the sun rises, they would always receive a summon from their purok president for causing so much disturbance to the neighborhood.