Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 3)

Start from the beginning

"Cleo has done too much again. I shouldn't have let her choose my room."

I turn around to see Doctor Bellum standing next to me. She turns her gaze towards me, and I lower my head while kneeling. She takes my hands and removes the handcuffs, placing them in a bag.

"Go put away my belongings and leave yours in a corner where they won't be in the way."

"Yes, Doctor."

I pull Doctor's suitcase to the wardrobe and neatly arrange her few clothes and electronic devices. Turning to my bag, I untie the rope around it and take out the few belongings they allowed me to keep. Looking around, I notice a latch where my chain could be attached.

"Would this be suitable, Doctor ?"

"Perfect."

I place my handcuffs and the golden chain on the floor. Removing my cape, I also place it with other heavier chains, the ones used when I misbehave. Finally, I take off a leather belt, which I place on the desk. As I return to the balcony to receive new orders, someone knocks on the door. I see Doctor Bellum freeze. She gives me a warning look before going to open the door.

She steps forward and opens the door, stepping back to let in a man in his fifties whom I swear I've seen before.

"Saira, it's been a while since I last saw you. How's my favorite niece doing?"

"I'm your only niece, Arun. What are you doing here ?"

"Can't I see my dear niece whom I've missed so much ?"

"Don't mock me. Don't you have business to attend to, a robbery or an assassination ?"

"Fair enough, I can't hide anything from you. What does VILE want here ?"

"Nothing that concerns you."

The man snaps his fingers, and two men in suits enter the room. They each carry a weapon on their belts.

"I've been patient with you, Saira, but I won't tolerate your organization encroaching on my territory."

"We're just passing through. I have a matter to attend to here, and then we'll leave."

"That's good to hear. I wouldn't want any misunderstandings. Gentlemen, wait for me outside."

The two burly men bow slightly and exit, leaving the three of us alone. Doctor's uncle steps forward and sits in one of the armchairs, motioning for her to do the same. I approach the man and ask him gently.

"May I take your coat, Sir ?"

"With pleasure, charming creature."

I remove the man's jacket and go to hang it on the coat rack in the entrance.

"Do you want coffee ?"

"I'd love some."

"Black Sheep, get to work," she says, taking a seat.

"Yes, Doctor."

The man looks me up and down with a smirk.

"So, tell me, Saira. I didn't know VILE was involved in the slave trade. Who is this young and delightful creature ?"

"VILE doesn't engage in that kind of crime. As for her, she's nobody, just a lost little pet who will hurry if she wants to eat tonight."

I quicken my pace under the threat and place two cups on the coffee table. I retrieve the coffee pot and pour the liquid into the cups before asking gently.

"Anything else you'd like, Doctor ?"

"No, that will do. Arun ?"

"I'm good too."