Your one true ennemy

A/N : Sorry for the delay in publishing, I had a busy day. Anyway, good reading.

Carmen POV

Hunger was forcing me to withdraw into myself and weakening my defences more and more. Professor Maelstrom had made it clear, food is a reward that is earned through good behaviour, which he said was not going to be soon. I haven't had access to it since my escape attempt and I don't even know how much time has passed. The only thing I know for sure is that Maelstrom will be here soon. Every day, or at least what I consider 'day', the same routine repeats itself.

One of the Cleaners drops me off a small bowl of water, then the Professor comes to take me for what he calls an 'obedience lesson' where he repeats over and over again rules of 'good behaviour' to follow and tries to make me talk. If there's one thing I've learned here, it's that he doesn't like to repeat himself, that no isn't an acceptable answer and that the lesson always ends in punishment. By now I would have thought he would have gone through all the methods of hurting me, but no, he always finds something new. The rest of the time, if by chance I am still conscious at the end, I remain locked and chained in my cell, in total darkness with only my thoughts often polluted by Maelstrom's words.

For the moment, the rules expected by the Professor are six in number.

1. Obey all orders from the Faculty without question

2. Don't try to escape, which are in any case doomed to failure

3. Always kneel in the presence of a Faculty member, except contrary order

4. Never speak without permission

5. Always bow my head and never meet the gaze of the Faculty, except contrary order.

6. Be grateful for everything they give me because I only have it thanks to their 'generosity'.

The last rule was only added yesterday and I remember not being able to stop myself from snickering. Maelstrom had punished me severely for this 'disrespect'. I don't particularly like the idea of giving in, but continuing to rebel would cause me more injury and wouldn't help Shadowsan, or ... Gray. I don't know what to think about my relationship with him anymore, are we really friends? Or did he revenge himself on me by having me captured by VILE. Maybe Maelstrom is right about him to some extent. A tear rolls down my cheek. I can't stand being in the dark any longer.

As the door begins to open, I move to my knees and bow my head in anticipation. A giggle that is far too familiar for my taste comes and I risk a glance. I see Tigress approaching me, strutting around as if she owns the place.

"So the rumour was true. The great Carmen Sandiego is now just a little Black Sheep completely subservient to the Faculty." She said in her usual drawl. The urge to reply comes over me but I can't risk further injury, Maelstrom might be watching us.

She leans over and whispers in my ear. "Too bad the Faculty won't also let us have fun with you." She punches me in the stomach, directly on the wounds left by the Professor the day before. "That's for the last time." She deactivates the chains holding me before cuffing my hands.

"Come on, stand up, I don't have all day." she says as she grabs the chain and pulls up. Once up, she pushes me violently forward and my hunger-weakened muscles are unable to regain balance, sending me to the ground with a cry of pain. I hear her giggle as she forcibly lifts me up and places one of her claws on my neck, just above the collar.