Chapter 78: Escape 2

Adan

We snuck down the hallway, looking both ways to ensure no one was coming. The door at the end of the hallway was within sight, but we had a long way to go before we got there. When we came to a crossed hallway, voices resonated off the walls.

"So, you were able to capture Adan?"

I froze as I listened, holding my hand up for everyone to stop.

"Yes, of course!" Darius laughed. "With the intel we got, it was child's play! We just had to wait, and he brought him to us."

"Very well." Fletcher's voice was subdued. "Make sure to keep him locked up and execute him immediately. I'll let the other Dons know that his Family will be up for grabs soon."

Anger flooded my chest. If it wasn't for the fact that Brenna, Magenta, and the others were with me, I'd walked down the hallway right now and kill Fletcher with my bare hands. But it would have to wait for another day. At least now, I knew the truth.

Looking into Dominic's eyes, I inclined my head toward the door, and he nodded slightly.

Glancing both ways to ensure it was clear, I headed down the hallway with Brenna, Magenta, Mason, Laura, and my other guards while Dominic brought up the rear. I wasn't sure what awaited us outside the door, but I wanted to be the first to face it.

Feeling around the edge of the door, I couldn't detect any modern sensors, but that didn't mean there wasn't another device. I tried the door, but it was locked.

Magenta came forward and held her hand up to the door. "Aperta."

Immediately, the door popped open. I looked out, and no one was standing outside. "Stay here," I whispered to Brenna and stepped out. A few guards were standing at the front gate to the right, but they were talking and weren't paying attention to the side of the Compound where we were. Also, their view was obstructed, preventing them from spotting us right away.

To the left was the woods where Mason and I hid when we followed Mason to meet Darius not long ago. There were probably guards patrolling, but when I looked around, they were nowhere to be seen.

For the moment, the way was clear, but I didn't know for how long. "Brenna, you and Magenta run with Laura and Mason to the forest."

"What about you and Dominic?" Brenna asked, her eyes pleading.

I kissed her forehead, sincerity filling my eyes. "We'll be right behind you."

She nodded once, then crept to the edge of the Compound and looked around the corner. Evidently, it must have been clear because they started running and were in the safety of the forest's edge a moment later.

"Okay." I slowly closed the door behind us, careful not to make any noise. "It's our turn."

"Let's do it." Dom was already headed toward the corner of the Compound when I grabbed his arm.

"Let's check it out first."

He nodded, and we looked around the corner.

Nothing.

We bolted through the tall grass and into the forest. I looked back, and the patrol came around the far corner, walking casually, talking about the upcoming Blood Moon and who they each wanted to claim.

"Get down," I said, motioning toward the grass.

Suddenly, one of the guard's heads snapped toward our direction. "Did you hear that?"

"What?" The guard with him squinted, looking toward the forest, and then burst out laughing, slapping the other guard on the back. "I think the upcoming Blood Moon has you on edge! There's nothing there! Come on! Let's go."

The first guard slowly nodded, obviously not as convinced. "Yeah, I guess." But a moment later, he was chatting animatedly with his friend as they rounded the corner. Soon, they passed the front gates, nodding to the men there. Then they walked around the far corner, out of sight.

"Let's go." I took Brenna's hand, and we ran into the forest as everyone followed. Soon, we were far enough away from the Compound that we couldn't be heard. "Magenta, there's too many of us to take with you, but I want you to take Brenna and Laura to the castle and get some help. Have them pick us up under the overpass on the main road near the edge of the forest."

"I'm not leaving you." Brenna held tightly to my arm, looking deeply into my eyes.

I grabbed her shoulders, wanting her to understand. "You need to do as I say. Once you get to the castle, have the men meet us where I told you. We'll be alright. I promise."

"I'll go with them." Mason took a step toward them, but I grabbed his collar, pulling him back.

"What? And call Darius as soon as you get back?" I chuckled. "I think not. No, you're staying with me so I can keep an eye on you."

A low, guttural growl erupted deep within his chest as his eyes flared. "You know it wasn't me. We've been through too much together for me to sell you out now—"

"Oh, really?" I chuckled, shaking my head. "We shall see once we get back to the castle." I took a step closer, glaring at him. "And never challenge me unless you're ready to defend it. Got it?" In our world, growling at the Alpha was considered a sign of aggression.

He nodded as he clenched his jaw but said nothing more.

"Brenna, you and Laura go with Magenta." My lips quickly crushed hers, but my wolf growled inside, wanting to claim her. The Blood Moon was swiftly approaching, and he was feeling it. He didn't want to share her any more than I did. I forced myself to take a step back, my hands sliding down her arms as my wolf released a satisfied moan.

"I'll be back." Her hands fell to her sides.

"No." A crease formed between my eyes. "Send the limo for us. There's too many of us to teleport."

"Stay safe." She straightened her shoulders as she lifted her head, her eyes never leaving mine as she took Magenta's and Laura's hands.

"Traiceret, Moon Shadow Pack Castle!" Magenta yelled as silver, gold, and white sparkles rushed toward them, encircling them in a whirlwind until they vanished.

***

A/N: So, do you think Adan and his men will be able to escape? Leave a comment to let me know. :-) 

Enjoying this story? Would you like to read ahead? Then check it out on my Patreon!

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554