Chapter 77: Escape 1

Brenna

"I could create a distraction," I whispered, looking around. "Then, once the door's open, you all can knock out the guards."

Dominic shrugged. "Or kill them."

"No, we're not going to kill them. We're going to use them." A sly grin spread across my face. "Just follow my lead."

Adan looked at Dominic and Magenta. Both nodded.

"Oh, someone help! I'm allergic to silver!" I yelled loud enough for the guards to hear us outside. I fell, and Adan caught me.

"Someone, help!" he yelled. "You need to take this wristband off her right away! She's allergic to silver!"

The guard opened the door and looked at me nearly passed out on the floor, looking half dead. "Go get Laura! Now! She's the only one who can take it off!"

Magenta looked down at me and winked inconspicuously. Dominic nodded slightly, not enough for anyone to notice.

"Get someone now!" Adan yelled. "She's dying!"

"Oh!" I yelled, doubling over, and then collapsed again. "Everything's going fuzzy!"

It was all Adan could do to keep from laughing, but he quickly composed himself. "Get someone in here! Now!"

"He's going to get the Pack Witch!" The guard looked down the hallway, and back at me.

"Oh!" I moaned, throwing my arm dramatically over my forehead.

A moment later, in walked a gorgeous young blonde woman, her long hair falling into waves over her shoulders, and Dominic's eyes nearly bugged out of his head. "What's the problem?"

"She's allergic to silver!" Adan yelled, holding me close. He deserved an Academy Award for his performance. "Quick! Take it off!"

The two guards at the door were so enthralled with what was going on that they didn't see three of my warriors sneak up behind them.

"Oh-kay...." Laura looked skeptically between us, then looked up at Adan, her eyes wide. "I've never heard of it before, but I suppose...." She held her hand up over my wristband. "Absolvisti!"

Immediately, the band fell off my wrist.

"It's her," I said to Adan.

He nodded to the guards, and they snapped the two guards' necks.

Laura quickly rose to her feet, holding up her hands as she slowly started backing away. "I swear, I was only doing what the Alpha ordered me to do. He bought me, knowing I was a witch—"

Dominic stepped close to her. "You're coming with us. We'll sort everything out once we get back to our Pack—"

Tears welled up in her eyes. "I'm not going back to being a slave—"

"No," Dominic cut her off. "You're safe now. I promise."

"What's the quickest way out of here?" Adan asked as two of our guards looked down the hallway.

"It's clear, Boss," one of them said, keeping his voice low.

"The quickest way would be to teleport out of here," Magenta interjected. "But we may not have enough time to get everyone out." Then she nodded to Laura. "Also, we'll have one more."

"Not if we leave Mason behind." Dominic glared at him, his eyes shooting daggers his way.

"Hey, I had nothing to do with this!" he shouted a bit louder than he should have.

"Shut up, or I'll kill you right here," Adan stage whispered. Then his head snapped up to Dominic. "We can't leave him here. He knows too much about our Pack."

Dominic shrugged. "We could always kill him."

"No, there's been enough killing," Magenta interrupted, then she glanced over at Mason, her eyes boring into his. "But if you give us away, I'll kill you myself. Got it?"

Mason stared at her and then nodded once. "Let's go."

Laura looked between us. "Who are the witches that brought you here?"

Magenta and I held up our hands. Even though I wasn't a witch, I was a Pack Luna with magic, but there was no need to explain, nor did we have the time.

She nodded and held her hand over Magenta's band. "Absolvisti!" she said, keeping her voice low. Immediately, the band fell off her wrist and onto the floor.

Magenta looked into her eyes and then over at Adan. "We can trust her." Then it dawned on me that Magenta could read minds and instantly knew what she was thinking. But she inclined her head toward Mason. "But he has a lot to answer for."

"So, he is the traitor," Adan growled, taking a step closer to him.

I placed my hand on his arm, stopping him. "Adan, we don't have time for this now. Let's deal with it when we get back to our Pack."

Adan nodded once and then shot a warning look at Mason. "As Magenta said, if you do anything at all to give us away, you'll be the first to die."

Mason stared at him for a moment and then nodded.

"This way," Laura said, already headed toward the door. "We don't have much time."

Adan glanced over at Magenta, and she nodded, silently telling him that Laura could be trusted and that she was telling the truth. Magenta and Adan had known each other long enough that they could have a whole conversation in their minds without ever saying a word. I guess that came with knowing each other for so many years.

Laura looked down the hallway. "This way." She hurried through the stone walls of the hallway, resembling a castle more than a modern Compound. Then I realized that the Compound may have been built over the remnants of an old castle that fell to ruin. "There's a door on the other side of this hallway at the end that leads outside."

"Where does it open up?" Adan asked, looking into her eyes, searching for the truth.

"Outside the castle," she replied. "We're now underground, but when we open that door, there's a set of stairs that will lead us out."

"Is there an alarm?" Adan asked, pulling me behind him.

She bit her lower lip, obviously scared. "I honestly don't know."

Dominic let out a deep breath as he glanced over our heads at Adan. "What do you think?"

"Right now, I think it's our only shot."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next?