Chapter 75: Trust

Brenna

Just then, Caesar stepped out of the kitchen, and everyone clapped. He announced the dinner menu and a cherry cheesecake for dessert. My mouth watered just listening.

"Adan, I haven't seen you around for a while." A nice-looking man with long dark-blonde hair and light-blond streaks stepped up to our table.

"Been busy. Speaking of which, why don't you join us? I need to speak with you." Adan motioned for a server to bring another plate, and the man sat beside Adan. "Brenna, this is Dominic Grant, my Beta. Dominic, this is Luna Brenna Sutton, my Mate."

I nodded, smiling. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine." He gave me a friendly smile and then quietly thanked the server who filled his wine. "So, what did you want to speak with me about?" Then his eyes shot toward me. "Or would you rather discuss it later?"

"No, I can speak freely in front of Brenna." Adan smiled as he took my hand. "She's not only the Pack Luna, she's also an advisor."

I nodded, returning his smile.

"Dominic, I wanted to speak with you about that." Adan sat back as the server set a huge Chef Salad in front of each of us. "I want you involved as an advisor, too."

He nodded. "I thought I already was."

"I mean, in an official capacity." Adan stabbed his salad. "I've been thinking, and I shouldn't depend solely on Mason. It would be better to have a few trusted advisors. Since Brenna has been meeting with us, she's provided a fresh perspective. I feel that having several advisors will give even more perspectives." He shoved a bite of salad into his mouth and chewed.

Dominic stirred his salad. "So, how many advisors are you thinking of having?"

Adan shrugged. "Just you, Mason, and Brenna. I need people around me that I can trust, and I trust the three of you. If there's too many, then word could get out about important things too quickly."

"Agreed." Dominic took a bite of his salad.

Adan took another sip of his wine. "Speaking of which, I need you to gather five of our best warriors and meet me at my office at seven in the morning, ready for battle."

Dominic's head snapped up. He stared at Adan for a long moment as a slow smile curled his lips. "Aye." Clearly, he could guess what we were up to. "I'll be there with the warriors." He chuckled as he turned his attention back to his salad. "It's about time."

Adan and Dominic both laughed. I had been wondering if Adan had any other friends that he trusted besides Mason and Nikoa. As we ate, I could tell Dominic was someone that could be trusted. I usually get a feeling about people when I meet them, and my feelings are always right. I was glad that Adan had friends he could trust.

"So, how's it going in the human world?" Adan took another bite of his salad, chewed, and swallowed. Then he turned to me. "Dom takes care of our dealings with the humans while I'm involved with the Pack."

I nodded, understanding. So, that explained why I had yet to see Dominic around the Pack.

"It's going well." Dominic took a sip of his wine. "Fletcher is getting restless."

Adan's head snapped up. "About what?"

Dominic lifted one shoulder. "Your guess is as good as mine, but he's up to something. What? I have no idea."

Adan nodded as he ate. "So, what have you heard about the Auction? Is he stopping it?"

My head snapped up. But I quickly recovered myself and took a sip of my wine, pretending that it hadn't had an effect on me.

Dominic shook his head as he looked down at his salad. "After your warning, he hasn't slowed down. From the way it looks, he's still gathering women."

I placed my hand on Adan's arm. "We have to stop him."

He patted my hand. "Don't worry. I will." He clenched his jaw. "I warned him, and if he doesn't heed my warning, then he'll have to deal with the consequences."

I nodded, but rage filled my chest, causing me to want to rescue those women right now.

Dom glanced over at me. "As the Alpha said, we will deal with it soon."

I arched an eyebrow. "So, you're a telepath?"

He shrugged. "More of an empath. I can feel people's emotions and the emotional state of everyone in the room when I enter it."

I nodded. "Can you read minds, too?"

He shook his head. "No, I can only read emotions."

Adan smiled. "His ability has saved us well more than once. His senses are always right."

I took a sip of my wine. "And what are you feeling about tomorrow?"

Dominic chuckled. "I can only feel the emotions of people I'm in a room with. But I can assure you that if I have anything to say about what will transpire tomorrow, everything will go well."

I nodded. "That's good enough for me."

Just then, the servers brought out the main course. Then Dominic nodded toward Mason. "Be careful about him, Boss. Something's going on with him, but I can't quite place it." His eyes met Adan's. "Just watch your back."

Chills went down my spine. That's precisely what Magenta had said to Adan, except she didn't mention any names.

Adan sighed as he cut into his stuffed pork chop. "He's all right. We don't have anything to worry about with him."

Dominic nodded. "I hope you're right."

So did I.

The conversation turned light as Adan and Dominic caught up on matters with the humans and in the Pack. But as they talked, I watched Mason. There had always been something about him that I didn't trust, but I had brushed it off, thinking it was just me.

Now, hearing other people say that about him, too, I wondered if he was as trustworthy as Adan seemed to think. If he couldn't be trusted, then we shouldn't go on the mission in the morning. I made a mental note to speak to Adan about it later. I just hoped his trust in Mason and Dominic hadn't been misplaced.

***

A/N: Umm... so what do you think of Dominic? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :-)