Self-Publishing Welcome to the Madhouse: Chapter Eight: Author Photo Addendum

Chapter Eight: Author Photo Addendum

I received the 'retouched' photos in about one week's time from the photo shoot and was extremely pleased! They looked so good, I didn't recognize myself! I picked what I thought would be the best two photos for my account manager to choose from, for the book sleeve, and waited to hear what Bre Boyce had to say.

While trying to decide which pictures I would send to my family - they would not want to be bombarded with all of them; perhaps they would not want to see even one of them! - I noticed that there was something missing on the photos.

My mole.

I have had a large, black mole on my left cheek, for as long as I can remember. I do not know if I was born with it, but it is staring back at me in my two year old picture, so I know it was there then. (How many babies are born with big black moles on their face, I wonder. Not many, I am sure.)

The pictures of myself without the black mole were very flattering. But they were not me.

I know Jeanne McRight at Pix Photography was trying to do the best job she could for me and I really appreciated all of her hard work in getting rid of that black spot, but the photos made me feel like a fraud, an imposter.

That mole is part of me and, even if it is unsightly or out-of-style, I have learned to live with it. That mole and I have been through a lot together, such as frequent questions like, "Do I paint that on?" or "Is that a green mark on your face?"

Feeling guilty, I asked Jeanne to put the mole back. I realized that she had to go back to the originals again, to do whatever retouching she wanted to do to the photos, without touching the mole. It would be a lot of work all over again, and I felt terrible about it, but the photos were just not me.

Jeanne was very kind and understanding of my request and worked hard to return me to a more realistic, authentic visage.

I am not perfect. My face is far from perfect!

Her redo pictures still make me look better than 'dead dog' years, so I am much happier. The mole is there in all of its black glory. Now, I look like me (but on a really perfect day!)

I will not hurt your eyes or torture you with the photos.

If you want to see the author photograph, big, black mole on the left cheek and all, you can buy the book. ;D