12 - Isolation

"Graves always insisted the disturbances were caused by a beast." Tina said to Newt and I. The five of us were on a random rooftop in the middle of the city. Tina, Newt and I watched the scenery as we talked, and Jacob and Queenie were tending to pigeons.

"We need to catch all your creatures so he can't keep using them as a scapegoat." Tina finished.

"There's only one still missing." Newt stated. "Dougal, my demiguise. Slight problem is that..."

"He's invisible." I finished, sighing. Tina looked at me, confused.

"Invisible?" She said, frowning.

"Yes, most of the time..." Newt said vaguely. "He does..."

"Appear." I said after a pause. "Some of the time."

Tina sighed. "How do you catch something like that-"

"With immense difficulty." Newt and I said together, looking at each other.

There was a pause in the conversation as we stared down at New York.

"He could be anywhere..." I said, sitting down.

"Gnarlak!" Tina said suddenly. I stood up, and Newt and I looked at Tina, both of us with similar looks of confusion.

"Excuse me?" We said together.

"Gnarlak, he was an informant of mine when I was an Auror! He used to trade in magical creatures on the side." Newt smiled slightly.

"He wouldn't happen to have an interest in paw prints, would he?"

Tina shrugged, smiling. "He's interested in anything he can sell."

I shook my head, concerned. "On the side? I don't like the sound of that..."

"He's our only hope." Tina said. I shook my head again.

"No, I don't trust him. I'm staying here." I said, sitting down again. Newt sighed, sitting down too.

"You wouldn't be old enough to come anyway... I don't like the idea of leaving you alone. Especially in an unfamiliar, busy city."

"I could stay in the case?" I said, hopeful.

"What if I lose you? I can't risk it." He said, worried.

"I thought you said your philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice?" I said, trying to make a joke.

"This is different..." Newt said, sighing again.

"I'll be fine in the case, Newt. I've been left alone in it countless times before."

"Well... I guess it would be easier to escape with less people to worry about..." Newt said, debating in his mind.

"And you always keep your case with you. You'd have to, to keep the creatures safe. Besides, if you do lose the case, it means I can protect the creatures when you're away." I said. Newt sighed.

"Alright, then." He said, convinced. "Whatever you do, stay with the creatures. I promise I won't leave the case. I won't leave you behind." 

I smiled. "Thanks, Newt."

I had been sat in the case for... I didn't know how long. I wished I had checked the clock in the shed before feeding the creatures. In reality, it had only been 10 minutes or so, but it felt like forever. I stood up in the Kneazles' enclosure after tending to Lilith again, happy to see that the hurt creature had almost healed.

"You're better now, aren't you, Lilith?" The Kneazle stood up and walked away happily. I walked out of the enclosure to hear a crash from Newt's workshed. Now was the time to find out if it had worked.

But when I got to the workshed, I didn't see anyone, but I heard a whine from one of the bowtruckles. Was that Pickett or Ari? I reached into my jumper pocket to feel Ari in my pocket. I gasped, realising that the others could be in trouble. I climbed the ladder to exit the case, worried for Pickett and Newt and the others.

"Pickett..." I heard Newt say. I lifted up the case lid and climbed out. Newt looked down at his case, seeing me get out of it.

"Lia!" He said, shocked. "Why would you..."

"I thought there was something wrong... what's happening?" I looked at a goblin, who had Pickett in his hands. He smiled vilely down at her.

"Who is this?" He asked, curious.

"My daughter. She's none of your business, Gnarlak." Newt said, upset.

"Well... Somethin' invisible's been wreaking havoc around Fifth Avenue." Gnarlak said, looking back at Newt, who was avoiding his gaze. "You may wanna check out Macy's department store. Might help with what you're looking for."

"Dougal." Newt whispered, acknowledging the information.

"Newt... you didn't... give Pickett away..." I said, realising the situation. Newt wiped tears from his eyes, trying not to look upset in front of me. I hugged him, upset too.

"How sweet." Gnarlak said, grinning.

"Shut it, you..." I said, angry.

"Feisty... Your daughter is quite a handful, isn't she... Mr. Scamander?" Gnarlak said, smiling at Newt, who looked at him, angry.

"Leave my daughter alone, please..." He said, trying to contain his anger.

A crash came from one of the corridors leading from the bar.

"MACUSA are coming!"

"You tipped them off?!" Tina said, getting up from the table, slamming her hands down angrily. Gnarlak laughed menacingly. Jacob turned to the evil goblin, a punch ready.

"Sorry, Mr. Gnarlak..." He said, punching Gnarlak unconscious. He winced. "Reminds me of my foreman!"

"Newt, where's Pickett?!" I asked, searching around. Newt followed suite, looking around frantically. Newt caught sight of Pickett on a table leg and grabbed him, trying to be gentle. Jacob drank a shot of... something, and burst out laughing. Gigglewater. We held hands and one of the adults Disapparated.