4 - Tina

The muggle screamed again. I looked at him, eyes wide, and he stopped screaming. Newt held Teddy in his hand, and put him into the case.

"For the last time, you pilfering pest... paws off what doesn't belong to you!"

Newt closed the case and turned to the muggle.

"I'm awfully sorry about all that."

The muggle looked at us both, confused, dizzy and rocking around.

"What the hell was that?"

"Nothing that need concern you." I said, smiling.

"Now, unfortunately, you have seen far too much, so if you wouldn't mind, if you just stand there..." Newt centred the muggle to obliviate him, then turned to get his wand out.

"This will be over in a jiffy." He said, smiling at the muggle.

"Sure, yeah..." The muggle turned around, grabbed his case, and hit Newt and I with the case, before running off. We fell to the ground, before hurriedly getting back up again.

"No!" I shouted.

"Bugger!" Newt said, putting his wand back in his coat. He grabbed the case and walked with me, Newt smiling at a woman walking the other way, before...

... "Newt?" I looked around for my father. "Newt?"

But he was gone.

"Newt! Where are you?" I shouted, running out of the alleyway. I scanned the people around me. 'New York has a lot of people.' I thought, running around, searching, looking around frantically for Newt.

I finally saw him walking with another woman. I smiled. Thank Merlin I caught sight of him.

"Newt!" I ran up to Newt, who sighed in relief.

"Lia! Thank Merlin! I wondered where you were!"

We both hugged each other. The woman looked at us both, confused.

"You didn't tell me..."

"I didn't think I'd have to?" Newt said, letting go of me. I looked at the woman, who looked back, apologetic.

"I'm still going to have to take you both in. I'm sorry."

I looked at Newt, who looked at the woman, tired.

"Why are we being taken in? Where are we being taken in?"

"I'm taking you both into MACUSA for the violation of the Section 3A."

"I'm sorry?" Newt looked back at me, rolling his eyes slightly.

"We forgot to obliviate the muggle, Lia."

"Oh, we didn't actually forget, we just wasn't able to do it because he hit us with a briefcase before we had the chance to do so." I annunciated to the woman.

"Well, I'm just following rules, sorry." The woman said.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"My name? Tina Goldstein." Tina said, looking at me suspiciously.

"That's a nice name."

"Oh... thank you." Tina said. "Right, let's get going." Newt and I exchanged questioning looks of distrust.

"What are you doing in New York anyway?"

"We came to buy a birthday present."

Tina looked at Newt. "Couldn't you have done that in London?"

I shook my head. "No, there's only one breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins in the world, and he lives in New York, so no."

Newt smiled at me, and I laughed quietly back. Tina reached a guard of MACUSA.

"I got a Section 3A." The guard let us in.

"By the way," Tina said, matter-of-factly, "We don't allow the breeding of magical creatures in New York. We closed that guy down a year ago."

"Shame...!" I said to Newt, who nodded in agreement. I looked up to see a clock that didn't have numbers, but instead had levels of severity of situations in the country. It was at Level 8/9.

"Newt?" Newt looked down at me.

"Are you okay, Lia?" I nodded, smiling.

"I just wanted to know... why is the danger level so high?"

Newt looked up to the clock, which showed the words 'Severe Unexplained Activity.' "I... don't actually know myself, Lia."

I didn't understand this. Newt had read many articles about the situations in New York, so why wouldn't he tell me? Little did I realise that Newt actually did know, but didn't want to tell me, in case I got worried about it all.

"Hurry, you two!" Tina called from the lift.

"Hey, Goldstein!"

"Hey, Red. Major Investigation Department."

"I thought you was..."

"Major Investigation Department! I got a Section 3A!" Newt and I hurried onto the lift with Tina and Red.

"Where are we going?" I asked, confused.

"Down..." Tina said, smiling.