Chapter 74: A Plan and a Warning

Brenna

Adan nodded once. He knew as well as I did what we were risking by not marrying now.

"I'll call Mason, and we can start the meeting." He arched an eyebrow as he glanced over at Magenta. "Can you stay to strategize?"

She nodded. "Yes, of course."

Adan pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and quickly texted Mason.

He walked in a moment later, notebook in hand. "Are you ready?" Mason raised his eyebrows as he glanced over at Magenta, obviously surprised to see her here.

Adan nodded. "I thought it essential that Magenta join us to discuss strategy today. After all, she will be one of the key players in the attack."

"You're absolutely right." Mason looked over at Magenta and smiled. "Welcome! I'm glad you could join us."

"It's my pleasure," she replied, arching an eyebrow skeptically.

"Well!" Mason smiled as he looked at all of us. "Shall we?"

"Yes, of course." Adan motioned toward the table and held a chair for me while Mason held a chair for Magenta. We spent the next few hours strategizing and coming up with a plan of attack.

"So, we're in agreement then?" Mason asked, looking around the table. "The best time to catch Alpha Snow would be in the morning in his room."

I narrowed my eyes, looking at him pointedly. "Unless we can lure him out, as I had suggested before." I looked over at Adan. "Do you think Fletcher would set him up for us?"

"Doubtful." Adan sighed as he folded his hands on top of the table. "In fact, the less he knows about this, the better."

Magenta's head snapped up, her eyes filled with concern. "You don't trust him?"

Adan shook his head. "No. Not since I discovered his affiliation with Darius Snow. But keep that between us."

Magenta nodded. "Yes, of course." She let out a deep breath. "So, when are we planning to attack?"

"As soon as possible." Adan looked over at Mason. "Tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds good." Mason nodded. "What time?"

They talked, and soon we settled on seven o'clock in the morning.

"I'll be here fifteen minutes before we leave," Magenta said, rising to her feet. "If you no longer need me, I'll head back now."

Adan pulled her in for a quick hug. "Magenta, there is no way I'll ever be able to repay you for everything you've done for me over the years."

She smiled as she released him. "Think nothing of it." She reached up and placed her hand on his cheek. "You and I have been through a lot together." She let her hand fall. "If there's anything you need, just let me know."

"Thank you."

She tilted her head to the side, studying him. "You know, your father was very proud of you."

Emotion welled up in his eyes. "Thank you. That's very kind of you to say."

"It's the truth." Then her expression turned serious. "Just be careful who you associate yourself with."

Adan nodded slowly, obviously wondering who she was talking about. But before he could ask, she raised her arms and said, "Traiceret, my living room!"

We stepped back as white, gold, and silver sparkles flew in, encircling her in a whirlwind. Then she disappeared a moment later, leaving a few sparkles in her wake.

***

"So, are you sure you don't want me to cook for you again tonight?" I asked Adan as we headed toward the Main Dining Hall later that night. We had dressed up and had opted to dine with the Pack in the Main Dining Hall.

"No, not tonight." Adan's eyes met mine as a smile lit his lips. He looked dashing in a dark gray suit with his light gray button-down shirt open at the neck without a tie, and his black shoes shone to perfection. "I don't want to wear you out. Besides, we need to make an appearance. I don't want anyone to think there's no one in control."

"Oh, everyone knows who's in charge." I smiled as he placed his hand on the small of my back. We nodded to the guards outside the Main Dining Hall as we walked past.

The transformation of the room from day to evening never ceased to astonish me. It was set up in a buffet style for breakfast and lunch and then was arranged in small round tables with white tablecloths and centerpieces at night, arranged for formal dining. Caesar, the kitchen staff, and dining room staff did a brilliant job with the transformation. Every day, the Main Dining Hall was closed from four o'clock in the afternoon until five to give them time to set everything up.

"So, what do you think Magenta meant earlier today?"

Adan's head snapped toward me. "What about?"

"When she warned you to be careful of people surrounding you." I bit my lower lip and released it. "Ever since she said it, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind."

"I'm not sure, but every Alpha has to be careful of those we surround ourselves with." He shrugged. "That's probably what she was talking about."

"Maybe." We nodded to people as we passed.

Ember slammed her napkin down, pushed abruptly away from the table, and stormed out. Obviously, she was upset either about Hailey, or the fact that I had her taken her off my Glam Squad, or both.

"Don't worry about it." Adan headed toward the head table sitting on the floor tonight. During special occasions, the head table was set up on the stage, but not tonight. "She'll get over it eventually."

"Or she'll go to Nikoa's Pack." I let out a deep breath. "I feel like I'm running people off."

"It's not your fault." Adan held my chair as I sat. "It would have happened eventually anyway."

Adan sat next to me, and Mason walked in and stopped to speak to a few people as he passed. Magenta walked in, and I motioned for her to sit with us. She smiled but shook her head no and sat at her usual table.

"Adan, I was thinking we could just have a small ceremony, if you like." One of the servers filled our wine glasses, and I took a sip. "We don't have to have a huge ceremony, but we shouldn't wait much longer."

"No." He took a sip of his wine. "You've waited your whole life for this, and I want to do it right."

"But what if something happens—"

"Nothing is going to happen," he cut me off. "But if you feel that something may go wrong, then why don't you stay here?"

"No, I'm going, and that's that." No matter what happened.

***

A/N: Life this story? Want to read ahead? This story and more and finished on my Patreon! I'd love to see you there! :-) 

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554