Miss Jen was a divorced lady in her mid-fifties. Even though she had been divorced for fifteen years, she had the energy that she was living her best life. With her grey and black hair and smiling face, she was the cutest and nicest middle-aged woman you could ever come across. The cafe meant everything to her since she didn't have any children but she was still kind to everyone that she came across. Plus, Kate was her absolute favourite. At least that's what Kate thinks.

"Parker" Miss Jen scolded with a stern look. "Did you pay for that cupcake?"

"What, me? It was Kate who..." He didn't seem to notice that the cupcake was with him and stopped when he looked at his hands. "Kate" he looked at her in disbelief.

"Miss Jen, you know how much Par just loves your baking. We just came back from a jog and I advised him against eating it but he said he didn't care" Kate tried hard to keep a straight face as she spoke to the stern-faced lady.

Miss Jen was well acquainted with the three friends; Kate, Noelle and Parker, so she sometimes let them take snacks for free. They were like the children she never had.

"I never said that!" Parker argued.

"It's alright, no need to fight your love for sweets" Kate pat his shoulders and moved to the staff closet.

"Katie, where are you going?"

She was just about to open the doors when she heard the serious tone in Miss Jen's voice. She turned to her with an awkward smile.

"I was just going to-um..."

"You're not working today, are you? Noelle told me not to let you do it"

"Dammit," Kate seethed and then smiled at her. She would deal with that talkative best friend later. "I wasn't going to work Miss Jen, I just wanted to help you a little"

"That's sweet of you, Katie but there are so many people around to help already"

"But I –"

"Let's go, Kate" Parker called with his mouth full. "You need to sleep before class starts"

"I'll get you both breakfast," Miss Jen said and left to the kitchen.

"Hey, you ate my cupcake" Kate sneered at Parker.

"You're the one who lied against me"

"Well I didn't tell you to eat my cupcake"

"And I didn't tell you to lie against me"

She huffed and took a seat as they waited for their breakfast.

***
Classes were finally over and Kate dragged her feet as she walked out of the hall. Her head felt hot so she removed the band tying her hair and sighed in satisfaction as the cold air finally touched her scalp. She tied her hair most times because it was too long—touching her back—and curly. She hadn't had the time to straighten it yet.

"Hi Katy-Kate"

Kate froze at the person infront of her. It had been a while she saw him. The person that caused her constant nightmares, even during the day. And was he still going with that dumb nickname?

She squared her shoulders and held her bag tighter to stop her trembling hands. It wasn't like she was scared of him, she was just scared of the memories seeing him brought about.

"Justin"

He smiled and she almost felt like throwing up. What had she seen in him before? His bushy blonde hair hadn't changed one bit. Although he was tall and muscular in the right places, it didn't still change the fact that he was disgusting. His dark eyes roamed around her.

"I missed you, Kate"

She grimaced. "Yeah, okay" she walked away from him but he held her arms and drew her back. "Get your disgusting hands off me!" She spat.

"And if I don't?" He asked with a smirk.

She tried to wiggle herself from him but he wouldn't budge. She had noticed his violent nature when they newly entered college. He started doing drugs and she tried to change that but couldn't. And one day while she was talking to him about it, he decided he was tired of her and told her some nasty things.

"Justin" she warned and tried to push him but he held her other hand.

"Don't you miss me too, Katy-Kate?" He whispered in her face.

She turned her face away, his breath smelled like alcohol. She felt disgusted, other memories of her life were starting to flood in, memories that weren't too nice. She was embarrassed because they were still infront of her class. That didn't make a difference though, since she was the last to leave the class.

"Hi baby"

Kate shivered in fright when two large hands held her waist. Was this about to be a gang-up rape? She was about to scream when the person behind her spoke again.

"Get your hands off her, Jerry"

That British accent.

She turned her head to see Blue staring dangerously at Justin.

"It's Justin" Justin seethed but Kate felt his hands loosen on her.

"Do I look like I give an actual fuck?" Blue was smiling but something about that smile said that he was just about ready to pounce on Justin if he held her any longer.

Thankfully Justin released her and backed away a little.

"She's my girl, Carter" Justin said as he left.

Kate didn't have the chance to look at him leave. Her focus was on blue eyes infront of her. It was the first time she was seeing him in the light and without his shades, the first time he was standing before her. She knew he was tall but standing in front of him, her head was only at his jawline. He was a freaking giant, maybe about 6'4". Her eyes went from his perfectly styled hair, his dark blue orbs, his sharp jawline and his lips...was he wearing lipgloss? 'Cause those lips looked to be glistering.

"Still staring, doll?" He asked with a smirk.

She immediately pushed him away, scolding herself. Dammit, Kate!

"Get away from me"

"Didn't look like that's what you wanted a second ago"

She looked at him again. He was really good-looking in the light, with broad shoulders and muscled arms that didn't even hide behind his loose shirt.

"It's nice to see you without the shades, Blue," she said and started to walk away.

"I have a name. I believe you know what it is"

He was walking so close to her and she didn't like it. She felt short. And she wasn't!

"I don't"

"It's Damien"

She was being sarcastic at first and was surprised when he said his name again.

She turned to him, "I prefer Blue"

--------------------------------------------------
Thanks for giving Shades a chance!🔥
Don't forget to add to your library so you can easily get notified on new updates.

Check out my other book: Sunflower (ongoing)
IG: author_sommy

Stay Shady❤️...that's my catchphrase, lol.