The Lady and the Irish Knight:

Chapter one: 

When you meet the one my boy you need to hold her because she will change your world and give you what it is you are looking for love and commitment.

I was not one for romance; I did not have enough time on my hands or maybe too much time.  But it is life and an Irish Lord now on English soil, which many of me kind would call as traitorous; the English came over and took our land many years ago. Now we were part of their rule. But I did not mind this I was not Sir Shane Filan for nothing. I was what I am sure many would call a vagabond, someone who does not set up home.

I looked to the letter sitting in the breast of my pocket it was a summons to court. To the Court of Henry VIII, The King of bloody England.  I had never met him but his reputation precedes him the whole of the country had deep loyalty to their King. In two days I would be at the court with them. Not sure whether I would like it but ever the opportunist, I was sure it was going to be a hell of an adventure.

Taking the reins of my horse I began to gallop towards Whitehall palace in London where the king wanted me to meet his court and him at. Two days, it was all that was needed.

I pulled near to the palace and got my horse, Edan, which in my language means fiery one. And he sure was that. As I kicked his heel to gallop into the view of the crowd. I was caught of how many beautiful ladies where waiting. I grinned. I must look like a state; I had not shaved in nearly a week. And I was dirty from the ride. But as I saw these women I could not help but think I was going to have a very pleasant time at this court. I reared my horse to a stop as I spotted the King standing in front of me. Plonking my feet on the ground.

‘Ladies and Gentleman of the court may I present to you Sir Shane of Filan from Ireland’ 

‘I must say Sire; it is an honour for thee to welcome me to court. I must say this court is full of many a fine maiden’ I looked across the courtyard as I saw the women dip down. One thing I liked about the female fashion in England was their dresses knew how to show their assets. And what fine assets they had. I smiled to a few in turn. There were two ladies that caught my eye, and many women did not do that. One had the most beautiful dark hair that I had ever seen and a beautiful face, her eyes a brilliant blue. I was rather taken by this woman. The other woman had long blonde hair and seemed to have the attention of someone I was sure I would come to meet he looked important. I smiled as I was shown to a place where I could freshen up. Having a bath drawn. I undressed myself and allowed the warmness of the water to cascade my tired aching muscles. I had some time before I was expected to go to the feast which was to be in my honour. I could hear me mam’s voice in my head. Shane to be part of the kings and queens of this country or another make me proud my boy

I smiled, Mam would be proud of me. I was in the court of possibly the most famous kings in the whole of Christendom. An Irish man who worked the fields for his parents until joining the army where I fought hard to become Sir Shane. I must have been recognised by the King because here I was.

I picked up some water and poured it over my body. Before rising myself from the bath to attempt to get ready.

Walking in to the great hall at Whitehall palace was truly spectacular I had heard of its beauty but I was not prepared for it. I took my place at the feast with a man I now knew to be called Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk. A best friend and brother in law to the King, as he was married to the King’s sister but at this precise moment he only had eyes for the blonde woman I noticed earlier. Maybe I was reading too much but I was sure that there was something unspoken between the two of them. 

I could have some fun with these two. I moved at the end of the meal and walked towards this lady who had the attention of the Duke. ‘Mistress may you permit me to dance?’ I held her hand