Ch. 40: The Invitation

Mulai dari awal

Yumi simply nodded in response, and moved to lean her head into the hand for only a moment. She pulled away as Kurama entered the hallway as well. There was a door to either side, one behind Mako, and one behind Yumi that led to the bedrooms. As soon as she spotted him, Yumi turned towards the door, let out a single yip, and pawed at it in request.

He gave a small chuckle as he reached over them to open the door, and had hardly even cracked it when she pushed inside, that cream-tipped tail disappearing around its edge. With a quick glance to Mako, who simply looked away after dropping her uniform into his arms, he entered the room behind her.

The little fox looked absolutely miserable as she sat, shoulders drooped, in the center of the bed. To his surprise, it wasn't him she was looking at, but the clothing piled in his arms. 'I came here in my uniform... I can't sleep in that!' She let out a single, long whine, and flopped down where she had been sitting. 'This is awful...'

He couldn't help it. He truly couldn't! The laugh that broke free of him was so pure it set her ears flicking in irritation. She went to snarl at him, but paused as he set her uniform down, and made to remove his own. Her ears flicked again, this time in stark curiosity as he revealed the simple black tee-shirt he had worn beneath the uniform jacket. He placed it down on the bed, the opening towards her, and she felt her skin flush beneath the fur at the suggestion. She looked up at him, then to the shirt, then back again several times, eyes wide at the implication. Then, with a thought that was hardly more than a whisper, she pushed against the bond. 'Turn around.'

He did as he was asked, a warm smile on his face as he turned from her, and her own clothes as well. There was a rustle of movement, then light footsteps, and cloth being rummaged through. After a couple minutes, the rustling stopped, and he was about to turn around when two delicate arms wrapped around his waist from behind, clutching onto his bare chest as though it were a lifeline. He felt the brush of her ears just before she pressed her forehead against his back in a rather emotional display.

It caught him off guard, the single sniff that escaped her, as well as the wetness that now ran down his back.

"Hey, come now..." He tried to comfort as he loosened the girl's grip on him just enough to turn around.

The sight waiting before him was something from a dream. Her hair was down, framing her face perfectly as he pulled her away so he could gaze at her. She stood before him in the dark grey leggings she wore beneath her uniform skirt, and his black tee-shirt. A possessive rumble began in his throat at the sight, but he pushed it back, mastering his own scent quickly as he lifted her chin with a finger, the way that always seemed to get her attention.

Yumi did not look at him, not even as that finger lifted her chin. Instead her eyes focused downward and to the side, avoiding those piercing emerald orbs. She let out a single, miserable whimper as she sucked in her lip. She bit down lightly to help keep her centered as the thought of what tomorrow could bring flooded her mind.

"It isn't fair..." She managed to mutter.

"I know, sweet fox. I know..." It was all he could think to say before pulling her back to his bare chest, and resting his chin atop her head just between those flat-back ears. "Don't worry, Yumiko. I have faith in Hiei to allow Yusuke to handle the situation. Now, come..."

He motioned to the bed. "If this is to be our final night, then we shouldn't waste it."

When she looked up at him, Yumiko found a smile with such warmth, it made the sun seem cold and dark. The adoration in his eyes set a tingle down her spine, as did the hand that travelled down her shoulder blades  to press at the small of her back. She felt the gentle push as he moved slightly to the side, and allowed him to lead her to the bed.