Chapter 70: Somewhere in Time

Brenna

The microwave beeped, and I took Adan's plate out and set it on the table for him. "Would you like a glass of wine?"

"Yes, please." Adan sat at the table, and I poured him a glass and set it beside him.

I sat kitty-corner from him. "I hope you don't mind, but I already ate."

He gave me a small smile as he nodded toward my plate, sitting on the coffee table. "From the look of it, you didn't eat much."

I sighed as I got my plate, heated it up, and sat across from him. "I couldn't eat with everything going on."

He nodded, sincerity coloring his voice. "I'm sorry to have put you through that."

I smiled, shaking my head. "It wasn't your fault. I could hardly expect you to be celibate for the last two hundred years." I shrugged. "That's several lifetimes."

He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. "Actually, now I feel as if I've finally woken up and my life can begin... now that I found you."

I squeezed his hand and released it, hoping we could get past this, now that Hailey had moved on.

Adan nodded toward my notebook and the stack of papers on my desk. "What's that?"

A smile curled my lips. "Wedding plans. I found the bridesmaids' dresses and decided on the meal. But I'm going to talk to Caesar about it first."

Smiling, Adan leaned in and gave me a quick kiss. "I'm glad. Have you set the date yet?"

I shook my head. "Nothing's set in stone yet. Do you have any preferences?"

He nodded. "As soon as possible."

"I'll talk to Magenta tomorrow and see what she can do. But let's wait until after the attack first." I took a sip of my wine, knowing he wouldn't like what I would bring up next. "I want to go on the attack."

"Yes."

"I know you don't want me to go, but hear me out... wait... what did you just say?"

He chuckled, gently squeezing my hand. "I said that I agree you should come. I thought about it, and what you said makes sense. You going along with four people between you and Magenta will make ten of us. Also, you're quite capable with the sword. In fact, you're now one of the best swordsmen in the Pack."

A sense of pride filled my chest as I sat back in my seat. "Thank you. I'm also skilled in magic... or I will be. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to train with Magenta every day after warrior training."

He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed it. "Good. But there's just one thing I want us to agree upon before we go."

My heart sank. "Which is?"

"I don't want you to fight unless it's a last resort, and you have no choice." He bit his lower lip, a stern look coloring his face. "Let the warriors handle what needs to be done, unless it's an absolute emergency."

"Okay, but I'm not going to cower in the corner while you all fight."

He laughed. "Somehow, I find it hard to believe you'll ever cower in a corner. But I don't want you taking any chances. Capisci?"

I chuckled, recognizing the Italian expression. "Capisci."

Then he released my hand and took a bite of his steak, chewed, and swallowed. "Umm... this is delicious! Who would have thought I'd be getting a Mate who could cook?"

I chuckled. "I can't. At least, this is the first thing I've ever tried to cook. But I got a cookbook today, and I can also look up some recipes on the Internet."

"You're kidding. This was the first time you ever cooked?" Adan looked at me in disbelief. "This is really very good. Maybe you can ask Caesar for recipes, too. I'm sure he'll be glad to share some with you."

"That would be great."

The conversation turned light as we dined together. It was the first time I had cooked for him, and I didn't want it to be the last. I wanted to be a good wife to him, a good Queen and Luna, and eventually, a good mother. But that would be a conversation for later. Much later.

"I'll help you with the dishes." Adan wiped his mouth on a cloth napkin when he was finished eating and started stacking the plates.

"No, that's okay. You go ahead and find something good on TV—"

"Nope!" He laughed as he took the plates to the kitchen and scraped the leftovers into the garbage can while I brought in the wine glasses. "You cooked, so the least I can do is to help you with the dishes. In fact, why don't you pour us some more wine and relax in the living room while I do them?"

"Oh, no you don't!" I laughed. "How about this: I'll wash while you dry?"

He nodded, a smile lighting his lips. "That's a deal."

While I ran the dishwater, he wiped off the table and put away the leftovers. Then he grabbed a dishtowel, started drying, and put the dishes away. When everything was finished, he poured us some more wine, and we headed into the living room together and sat by the fire.

"Want to watch a movie?" I asked, reaching for the remote. It was nice, relaxing together. I just hoped our attack went smoothly and we could stop Darius before he could wreak any more havoc on the city. But I was enjoying this quiet moment alone with Adan now.

"Sure." He propped his bare feet on the coffee table and extended his arm to me. I curled my feet up under me and scooted up close to him. It was the first time that we'd actually hung out together, and it felt nice.

"What would you like to watch?" I looked up at him and smiled.

"What do you like?"

I shrugged. "Pride and Prejudice?"

He chuckled, arching an eyebrow. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?"

I burst out laughing. "I'll find something else." I clicked through the channels and landed on the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymore and Christopher Reeve. "Oh, this is my all-time favorite movie! Want to watch it?"

He chuckled as he kissed my head. "Sure. Why not?"

We spent the rest of the evening hanging out, watching the movie. Before long, the two love interests were walking toward each other in the afterlife, where they could finally be together.

"Oh, that's beautiful." I sniffed, wiping at a tear from the corner of my eye. No matter how many times I saw the movie, it always got me.

"You liked that?"

"Loved it," I replied. "It's so romantic to think that two people could meet and fall in love, even if they were from different times."

He nodded. "You know, that's kind of like us. Don't you think?"

I thought about it, and it really was. He was over two hundred years old, and I was eighteen. We definitely were from different times and had found each other, just like the characters in the movie. "Yes, I guess it is."

"But I plan to spend much more of our lives together than they did."

I burst out laughing. "Only you could take a romantic movie and make it unromantic."

"Oh, I could be much more romantic, if you like." He arched an eyebrow as he moved closer, only half teasing.

"I'm sure you can."

***

A/N: So, what's your favorite movie? Comment below and let me know!

Well, that's it for today! Come back Wednesday for more updates! 

Also, I'm wanting to start a new story here. What would you like to read? Comment below and let me know. :-)