i. deadly dementors

Start from the beginning

"Setting dementors around a school," she muttered disapprovingly, grabbing Harry's wrist and feeling his pulse. "He won't be the last one who collapses. Yes, he's all clammy. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate."

"I'm not delicate!" said Harry crossly, going red in the face.

"Of course you're not," said Madam Pomfrey absentmindedly.

"I'm fine!" said Harry, jumping up, when Professor McGonagall suggested that he should stay in the hospital wing overnight.

"Well, he should have some chocolate, at the very least," said Madam Pomfrey.

"I've already had some," said Harry. "Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us."

Her uncle Remus had been on the train and Juliet didn't even know? She had forgotten he was going to begin working at Hogwarts this year and felt guilty that she hadn't gone to greet him.

"Are you sure you feel alright, Potter?" Professor McGonagall said sharply. Harry nodded.

"Very well, I just need a word with Miss Blanchard, then discuss Miss Granger's course timetable with her. After, we can all go down to the feast together," Professor McGonagall said. Harry, Hermione, and Madam Pomfrey left, leaving Juliet in the office alone with Professor McGonagall.

"I know you must be confused as to why I called you here," she began, "I just wanted to ask you if you need any support, Miss Blanchard."

Juliet just stared at her.

"I know your father's escape must have caused you great unease, but I assure you, this castle is protected as strongly as possible by the headmaster," Professor McGonagall continued.

Of course, thought Juliet, she should have expected it. Of course this is what she had been called to discuss. It was inevitable, her father's infamous reputation made sure of that. She just nodded silently at Professor McGonagall.

"Oh," was all Juliet said.

"Are you okay, Juliet?" Professor McGonagall said, in a soft tone Juliet had never heard her use before.

"Yeah, I'll be fine, Professor," she replied, staring very hard and the pot of ink open on McGonagall's desk.

"If you're sure," Professor McGonagall said, unconvinced, "You know, my office door is always open, if you ever need anything,"

Juliet nodded again, "Thank you, Professor,"

Without another word, Juliet left the office and decided to go straight down to the feast, rather than waiting for McGonagall to finish speaking with Hermione: she didn't feel like making conversation with anyone at that moment. She hurried straight past Harry, not giving him a single glance.

This meant that she didn't see the way Harry's face was still a little red from the embarrassment that Juliet had seen him be coddled like a small child by Madam Pomfrey, and that she knew he had collapsed because of a dementor. It wasn't the most ideal first impression he would have liked to give someone he didn't know.

When Juliet entered the Great Hall, she made her way as discreetly as possible toward Callum, who thankfully had taken a seat near the end of the table.

"What did McGonagall want?" Callum whispered, once Juliet had sat down.

"She just wanted to ask me if I needed anything, you know, because of my dad," Juliet explained bitterly. Callum tensed at this.

"Hey, did I tell you my uncle Remus is our new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor?" Juliet said, changing the subject.

"Wait really? He's definitely going to be a lot better than Lockhart," Callum said, relieved, as he thought about their last, very egotistical, professor.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, interrupting their conversation. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast...."

Juliet wasn't paying attention to whatever Dumbledore was saying, instead fiddling with the napkin in front of her. She thought about all the ways her father could interrupt the school year. He surely wouldn't be able to come to Hogwarts, right?

"On a happier note," Dumbledore continued, bringing Juliet back to reality, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year.

First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some dull, lukewarm applause around the Great Hall, but Juliet cheered loudly and clapped vigorously, nudging Callum to do the same. Lupin caught her eye and gave her a warm smile and wink.

"As to our second new appointment," Professor Dumbledore continued, "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Juliet and Callum joined in with the applause, which was most boisterous at the Gryffindor table.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

Juliet's troubles were soon forgotten when all the different glorious food appeared in front of her. She ate and spoke happily with Callum, along with Hannah Abbott and Ernie Macmillan, her fellow classmates.

Soon enough, it was time to head to their dormitories to turn in for the night, and with her stomach comfortably full, she fell asleep in her bed in the familiar warmth of the Hufflepuff dormitory.

—————————————————————

author's note!
it's finally back up!!!
I'm visiting family for like the entire summer holidays and I don't know how much I'll be able to write and publish but I hope that slowly but surely these chapters will be up again soon!!

—————————————————————