i. deadly dementors

Start from the beginning

"What was that?" Callum asked, his voice shaking.

"A dementor." Kate said, hugging her arms around herself.

"They're probably looking for my dad." Juliet said in a low voice, venom evident in her tone. She sat looking at the empty night sky through the icy window, avoiding having to look at any of her friends' eyes.

Her friends turned sharply to Juliet's direction. They knew who Juliet's father was, the notorious mass murderer, Sirius Black, because they were the only ones Juliet had trusted to tell. However, after the initial confession to who her father was in second year, Juliet's friends never heard her speak about him again, up until now.

There was an awkward silence in which her friends shared uneasy glances between each other, not knowing what to say.

Juliet sat looking at the heavy rain splattering against the window, avoiding having to look at any of her friends' eyes. She didn't want to think about her father longer than she had to.

The four of them didn't talk much more for the remainder of the journey, and very much rushed out of their compartment, with all their luggage and pets, once it had been announced that they had arrived. It was still raining, and they all hurried towards the horseless carriages that escort them to Hogwarts.

William began reading his book again, and the other three just sat in silence, all deep into their own thoughts. In what felt like no time at all, they arrived at Hogwarts.

Once they had disembarked from the carriages, Kate led the way through the vast oak doors, into the entrance hall lined with flaming torches. They followed the crowd into the Great Hall, where Kate waved goodbye to them to take a seat next to Blaise Zabini at the Slytherin table. William did the same and went to sit next to Anthony Goldstein at the Ravenclaw table. This left Callum and Juliet to go to the Hufflepuff table, but before Juliet could take another step, she heard her name being called from behind her,

"Juliet!"

Juliet whirled her head around to see who it was. She was very surprised to see that it was Hermione Granger, pushing through the crowd to get to her.

"Hermione?" Juliet said, confused.

"Professor McGonagall wants to talk to you, come with me," Hermione said, slightly out of breath.

"We've been here for like five minutes, how are you in trouble already?" Callum laughed, shaking his head at her.

"I don't know!" Juliet said throwing her arms up, also laughing, "Well, see you later,"

"I'll save you a seat," Callum said, with a smile.

Juliet followed Hermione back out of the Great Hall and up the large marble staircase, racking her brain to find what she possibly could have done to get her in trouble so early in the year.

"Don't be worried, Professor McGonagall already told us we're not in trouble. She said she just wants to talk to all of us," Hermione explained as she knocked on the door to Professor McGonagall's office, seeing the bemused look on Juliet's face.

"Wait, all of us?"

Juliet's question was immediately answered when the door in front of them was opened, revealing Professor McGonagall stood looking very stern, and Madam Pomfrey behind her feeling a boy's forehead.

"Good, you're here, Miss Blanchard, Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall said, motioning them inside and closing the door behind them. The boy turned his head around quickly and once again Juliet locked eyes with none other than Harry Potter. What was he doing here?

"I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?" Madam Pomfrey said to Harry, feeling his pulse.

"It was a dementor, Poppy," said Professor McGonagall. Juliet saw Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey exchange a dark look.