Chapter 68: Moving On

Brenna

"I want you so badly" I breathed.

He pushed into me faster and harder, going deeper as his tongue explored mine, ecstasy filling my body. Soon, I was panting into his mouth as he supported me against the shower wall, rolling his hips into me, watching me come as my walls clenched around him, causing his cock to swell. I gripped his broad shoulders for support as he crushed his lips to mine, pushing into me harder and faster until we both went over the edge together. Then he wrapped his arms around me and held me close.

Then he stood me on my feet and took the body wash off the shelf. "Come here." He squirted it into his hands and ran them over my body, paying particularly close attention to the area between my legs and my breasts as he slowly grazed his thumbs across my nipples.

"If you keep that up, we'll never leave the shower."

He chuckled. "I thought you were fixing me dinner."

My eyes flew open wide. "The steaks!"

"Oh, that sounds good." He chuckled, shaking his head. "I thought I heard the microwave going when I came in, too."

"Yes, that's the baked potatoes." I tilted my head to the side. "So, how do you like your steak cooked?"

He shrugged. "Medium."

"Well, I'd better go get them out before they're charcoal."

He laughed as he rinsed my hair and gently pushed me out of the shower. Then he wrapped a towel around me. "Go ahead. I'll finish up in here and will be out in a minute."

"Don't be long." I smiled as I headed through the living room and into the galley kitchen. Luckily, when I pulled the steaks out, they weren't overcooked. At least, I hoped not. The potatoes were finished, so I opened a can of corn, dumped the contents into a bowl, and put it in the microwave while I dressed.

Adan

Suddenly, someone was pounding on my door. "Let me in, Adan! I know you're in there!"

Oh my god! Hailey just lost her mind. I quickly finished my shower and wrapped a towel around my waist before she pounded the door down.

"Adan, Hailey's beating your door down!" Brenna yelled for me. "By the way, I have something to tell you."

"I hear her." My head snapped up as I walked past her wearing only a towel and flung open my front door. "What the hell are you doing, Hailey?" I walked out into the hallway and closed the door behind me so no one would see Brenna in nothing but a towel.

Her guards were standing in front of Hailey, staring her down.

"I got this, guys," I said, and they stepped aside. "Hailey, have you lost your mind? What the fuck are you doing?"

Tears ran down her cheeks as she stared at me in disbelief. My heart fell as hurt colored her eyes. "I just got a phone call from Nikoa Blaise, Alpha of the Stone Warrior Pack! He extended an invitation for me to join his Pack!" She took a step closer. "Did you put him up to this?"

I let out a deep breath. "Hailey, I never wanted to hurt you. I just thought that you might want to change Packs, so you won't have to—"

"What?" she cut me off. "So I won't have to watch you move on without me?"

I stared at her for a moment. "Hailey...."

"No! Don't you do that!" She shook her head, walking around the hallway like a crazy person. "Don't you dare feel sorry for me!"

Cory and Harper tensed by Brenna's door, making me wonder if something had happened earlier that I should know about.

"Hailey, I never wanted it to come to this," I cooed as I pulled her into my arms, trying to calm her down. "I never wanted to hurt you."

She pushed me away, staring daggers into my eyes. "Is this what you want? You want me to leave the Pack?"

I bit my lower lip and then released it. "It's not about what I want right now. What do you want?"

"I can't have what I want!"

"That's not what I meant." I took a deep breath, trying to keep my patience. "Do you want to stay here and watch me move on with Brenna, because that's exactly what I'm doing, or do you want a fresh start in another Pack? Nikoa is looking for a Mate, so you two might—"

She pulled back her hand and let it fly across my wet cheek, stinging as she landed the blow, but I didn't try to stop her. I deserved it, after all. "How dare you? Since you're through with me, you thought you could pass me off to another Alpha?"

"No." I clenched my jaw as I held her wrists to keep her from slapping me again. "I thought that maybe you could become his Mate, if you both agree. In fact, I told him not to use you, that you'd been through enough. He promised to be kind—"

A sob erupted from her throat as I pulled her to my chest, stroking her hair. "Hailey, I never meant to hurt you. I want you to move on and be happy. And if it takes you moving to another Pack, then I wish you the best."

Hailey pushed away, glaring at me, tears staining her cheeks. "If I go, it'll be better for you, too! Then you can move on with that bitch without guilt!"

Before I could stop myself, I backhanded her across the face. "Never talk about my Mate like that again!" I took a deep breath, knowing I shouldn't have done it. "Hailey, for both of our sakes, please... move on. I never wanted to hurt you—"

Pain colored her eyes as she held her cheek, her voice calm. "Nikoa will arrive in an hour, and I'm going with him. Have a good life." Then she turned on her heel and walked away.

"Cory, go with her to make sure nothing happens to her and that she leaves safely." I took a deep breath. "I'll stay with the Queen in the meantime."

"Aye." His expression was emotionless as he walked after her, and Harper took his post beside Brenna's door again, staring straight ahead.

I hated that it had come down to this between Hailey and me, but there was nothing I could do about it now. What was done was done. I should have known better than to think that we could just have fun and then move on. That's how it was for me, but obviously not for her, even though I had told her more than once.

But since the deadline was growing close and I still hadn't found Brenna yet, Hailey obviously thought I would choose her. What she doesn't know is that I still would have waited for my Mate, no matter how long it took, no matter what the Council said.

I walked through my door and into Brenna's suite, and she was standing by the table. The steaks were on a platter, and baked potatoes and corn were on the side. I felt like a heel.

"I'll get dressed and will be right back."

Before she could say anything, I headed to my suite and quickly dressed, wondering how this could work out. But now that Hailey was leaving the Pack, maybe Brenna and I could move on with our life together without guilt.

One could only hope.

***

A/N: Hailey *grrrr* So, what do you think of her? Comment below and let me know!