Chapter 67: Want and Need

Brenna

"Could you put this on my tab, please?" I asked the shopkeeper, my hands shaking. Not from fear, though. I was always calm during a crisis but fell apart afterward, and it always took a while for me to calm down. I guess it was from shock or the overload of adrenaline.

"Yes, of course," he replied, looking between Cory and Harper.

"Let's go," Cory placed his hand on my back and walked me out, leaving Harper to carry the groceries.

"Oh, the cookbook!" I yelled as Cory walked me down the hallway toward the elevator.

"Got it," Harper said behind us.

We all piled into the elevator a moment later.

"Come here." Cory held me against his chest and rubbed my arms in an effort to calm me down.

But I took a step back, and his arms fell to his sides. "I'm fine. Really. I just don't want Adan to see me this way." I looked between Cory and Harper. "He'll kill her."

Cory scoffed. "And rightfully so! You don't threaten the future Queen and live to tell about it. Not in this Pack."

"No," I replied. "I don't want her dead. She's looking for a reason to get rid of me, even if it means dying herself. In fact, we should probably place a guard on her to ensure that nothing happens to her. If someone kills her, they'll come looking for me first and possibly Adan." I looked at them both. "Please don't tell him what happened."

"My Queen." Cory stepped out of the elevator and walked beside me with his hand on my back, concern filling his eyes as we headed toward my suite. "I have my orders, and I have to tell him."

I let out a deep breath, defeated. "Then let me tell him."

He stared at me for a long moment and nodded. "Very well, then."

I opened the door, and Harper stood outside holding the groceries.

I walked in and laid my keys on the table, motioning them in. "Harper, you can set the groceries on the counter."

"No, My Queen." He shook his head. "We're under strict orders never to enter your suite unless it's an emergency."

"Very well, then." Anger welled up inside my chest as I took the groceries from him. "Thank you both for escorting me." I closed the door behind me, leaving them in the hallway to stand guard by my door.

How dare Adan give them such an order? Doesn't he trust me? I slammed everything around as I fired up the broiler in the oven, making a mental note to get a grill to set on our shared balcony. I ripped open the package of steaks, threw them on a small broiler pan, and slid it into the oven. After I quickly looked up how to make baked potatoes in the microwave, I washed them, set them on a plate, and covered them with a plastic bag. Then I slid them into the microwave and cooked them for fifteen minutes.

Soon, I heard Adan talking to someone in his room. So, I threw open the door, and he was sitting on the sofa. His head snapped up, and he cut off the phone. "What's wrong?"

"How dare you give specific orders to my guards?"

He chuckled as he rose to his feet. "What are you talking about?"

"Harper carried up the groceries, and I told him to set them on the table, but he said he was under strict orders never to enter my suite unless it was an emergency!" I bit my lower lip in an effort to calm down. "How dare you give them such an order? Don't you trust me?"

"Yes, of course I do." He rose to his feet and slid his phone onto the table as he headed toward me. "I just don't want them getting any ideas—"

"And don't you think I know how to say no?"