Chapter 66: In a Heartbeat

Brenna

I had spent the remainder of the day going over wedding plans, picking out gowns over the Internet on my phone, and deciding on colors. I needed to go over the rest with Magenta, who had agreed to help me with the wedding. But as I worked, I couldn't get the thought of the attack out of my mind. I was going with them, whether Adan liked it or not.

But then again, with Adan it seemed you got more with sugar than with vinegar. So, I put everything away and decided to make him dinner.

I had never cooked before, but there was a first time for everything.

In the kitchen, I opened the refrigerator door, but there was nothing I could make a meal out of. Then I remembered the small stores on the first floor of the castle. I slipped on my shoes and darted out as my guards followed.

I rolled my eyes, smiling as I turned to face them. "Guys, I'm only going downstairs to the store. I'll be right back. You can wait here. I'm sure I'll be okay."

"No way," Cory replied, shaking his head as his long blond hair brushed his shoulders.

"We're under strict orders from the Alpha not to leave your side." Harper ran his fingers through his thick, short dark hair, his deep voice stern.

"Fine." I motioned with my head down the hallway. "Let's go, then. I want to get back in enough time to make dinner for Adan."

Both men blinked and then glanced over at each other, smiling in disbelief.

"Oh, I'm sure I can cook." I shrugged as I hit the DOWN button on the elevator. "I mean, how hard could it be?"

They both chuckled as I glared at them.

Cory cleared his throat, quickly sobering as he suppressed a smile. "I'll take the stairs." He darted off, still laughing under his breath.

"After you." Harper held open the elevator door, letting me go in first. Then he hit the button, and we were moving a moment later. When the door opened on the first floor, Cory was on the other side already waiting for us, biting his lower lip to suppress a smile.

"Okay, okay. That's enough." I stormed past him as they followed closely behind.

"May I suggest you get a cookbook?" Harper asked behind me, a smile in his voice as Cory laughed.

I shrugged, glaring at Cory. "Actually, that's not a bad idea."

We headed toward the right, where a row of small shops appeared on the left side of the hallway, colorful and offering nearly everything as people walked in and out. If someone wanted to, he or she could stay right here in the castle and would never have to leave. Everything a person would need was right here. But I'd get bored quickly not seeing the outside world.

I passed by a vegetable store and headed straight for the small grocery store, resembling a convenience store in the human world.

"I'll be right out," I threw over my shoulder, knowing there wouldn't be enough room down the aisles for all of us.

"I'll go with her." Cory gave Harper a stern look. "Wait here."

"Aye," he replied, then turned and waited outside the store, his hand on his sword.

I rolled my eyes and headed into the store as Cory followed. But he hung back to give me some semblance of privacy. Even in my father's Compound, I had never felt so restricted. But then again, Dane Hall, my mentor, had always been with me in my father's castle, so I was always protected. But he had done it in such a way that never made me feel like I was under guard.

I picked up a bag of potatoes and handed them to Cory. "Here. You may as well make yourself useful."

He laughed but took the potatoes and stepped back again. I walked through the store, past the refrigerated section, and looked at the meats.

Freshly packaged steaks were in the cooler, so I took out a package. They were thick and looked luscious, making my wolf's mouth water. I was going to have to go hunting soon. It had been a while. My wolf started panting happily.

I walked around the store and then came to the cookbooks. I opened a white one with recipes of everything from dinners to desserts and started perusing it, looking over the recipes.

"Well, well, well! If it isn't Suzie Homemaker, here to make the Alpha a meal!"

I looked up and Hailey was standing at the end of the aisle, her eyes red as if she had been crying. "If you know what's good for you, you'll leave Adan and me alone."

Cory stepped up, placing his hand on his sword, but I held up my hand to stop him. If I couldn't handle Hailey myself, then I didn't deserve to be Queen. Also, I'd never earn her respect.

Hailey scoffed. "Well, it looks like your guard dogs are doing a good job keeping you safe."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I took a step closer, my eyes boring into hers. "I am the future Queen, after all."

"Yes, of course you are." Hailey shook her head. "No one can get close to you."

A low, menacing growl came from Cory as he bared his teeth, but I held my hand up again. In my peripheral vision, Harper stepped into the shop and stood by the door, watching.

I held my hand up, stopping them both. "I am the Luna and the future Queen of this Pack. If you threaten me in any way, I won't hesitate to strangle you with my bare hands."

Hailey took a step closer, her lip raising into a snarl. "You could try."

"Don't push me."

"Okay, Hailey," Cory interjected, "You're done here. Your beef is with the Alpha, not with the Queen."

She laughed. "Queen, my ass!" She chuckled as her eyes met mine. "You're no more a Queen than I will be."

"That's right, and you will do well to remember it." I took a step closer, our faces mere inches apart. "You will never be Queen, and you will never have Adan. Never again. He is mine."

She scoffed, looking at me in disbelief. "For now."

I grabbed her by the throat and started pushing her toward the door.

"Not in my store, you two!" the shopkeeper yelled.

I looked over at him and growled, my eyes flaring. He held up his hands and backed away.

Cory took his fighting stance as he took in the shopkeeper, drawing his sword.

"I don't want any trouble!" The shopkeeper held his hands up, his eyes wide as he took a step back.

"Neither do we." I marched Hailey toward the door as she clawed at my hands, drawing blood. But I felt nothing as I threw her on the floor in the hallway. "Stay away from Adan and me! If I see you again, I'll kill you myself!"

Hailey jumped to her feet and pointed toward Cory and Harper. "You all heard that! So, if anything happens to me, you'll know who did it!"

"Leave. Now," Cory said, stepping out of the store, his sword drawn. "The Queen was in her right to throw you out, and I'll testify to that to the Alpha and the Council, should the need arise."

"You heard him." Harper stepped up beside him. "Go now before we take you to the dungeon."

She scoffed. "For what?"

"For threatening the Queen," Cory replied. "Now, go!"

Tears filled her eyes. "Cory, you and I have known each other for a long time. You'll actually take me to the dungeon... over her?"

"In a heartbeat."

***

A/N: Whoa! So, what do you think of Brenna's guards? Of Hailey?