005. a shitty 24 hour diner

Start from the beginning

Conrad got a cigarette from his pocket, putting it in his mouth and getting ready to light it. Florence looked over before glancing back at the ocean. She looked over at Conrad once more before grabbing the cigarette from his mouth and throwing it away from them.

"What? Flo—"

"Would you let me smoke?" Florence asked him.

"No, Emmeline would kill me." Conrad stated.

"But you'd smoke with Camden." Florence raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah." Conrad shrugged. "But you're—"

"Don't you dare say younger, you're barely a year older than I am." Florence stated firmly. "Let's make a pact, I can't smoke, you can't smoke."

Conrad hesitated for a moment, looking over Florence determined face before he nodded. "Okay."

"Good."

The two stayed silent for a few minutes before Conrad turned to face Florence once more. "Wanna go and get the good muffins before everyone wakes up?"

Florence looked at him, "I have a better idea."

The girl stood up, holding a hand out to Conrad. The boy grabbed her hand, the two walking up the beach. Suddenly, Florence began slowing down, Conrad turning to her with an amused smile, a knowing glint in his eye.

"You're gonna go and pick the cigarette up aren't you?" Conrad asked.

"I'm gonna go pick the cigarette up." Florence spun on her heel, rushing down the beach to pick the cigarette up before turning back around and making her way back to where Conrad was stood.

The two walked off the beach, stopping at a bin so Florence could properly dispose of the cigarette. They then headed towards town, walking through the busy streets.

"Where are we going?" Conrad asked the girl.

"To get breakfast." Florence stated.

Conrad stopped walking, tugging Florence's wrist so she spun to face him. "Muffin store is that way."

"Not for everyone, just for us." Florence shrugged. "Come on."

Conrad walked for a few more seconds before he huffed once more, his hangover and the fresh air giving him a headache. "Florence, where are we going?"

"To get breakfast. You have a hangover and you wanna know the best cure to a hangover?" Florence asked him.

"More alcohol." Conrad suggested.

"In some cases but not this one." Florence shook her head continuing to walk down the street.

"So what is it?"

"Guess you'll just have to follow me and find out." Florence commented with a shrug. The two continued to walk down the street before they came to a diner. "Ta-da."

"The cure to my hangover is a shitty 24 hour diner?" Conrad spoke in confusion.

"It's not what it is that cures the hangover, it's what it serves." Florence smiled, walking into the diner. Conrad let out a breath before following her in and sitting opposite her in a booth. "I find that pancakes smothered in maple syrup is the best thing for a hangover."

"I think if I get that I'll be sick." Conrad told her.

Florence laughed softly. "I'm kidding. They have the best green smoothie here, better than Jeremiah's that cures hangovers and they serve a plate of the greasiest food they have here."

"That sounds more like it." Conrad nodded. "Why did you bring me here?"

"To help you get over your hangover." Florence shrugged. Conrad stared at her with raised eyebrows making the girl break out in a smile. "And they make my favourite milkshake here. And I can get pancakes with blueberries and cream made into a smiley face like in the Vampire Diaries."