Conversations

This one is set three weeks after Meerabs birthday party where the alliance was announced.

_______________________________________

"Murtasim, I need to talk to you" his mother's voice broke the serenity of the night. He had just gotten back home after a hard day and didn't want to deal with what was coming. The large clock near the staircase stated that it was midnight.

He signed, he should have seen this coming.

"There is only one thing you've been talking about for the past three weeks and my answer remains the same, I am not interested in getting married at this point of time and I'll never be interested in marrying her at any point of time."

"What's your problem with her? Iss khandaan ke sabse khubsurat ladki hai, law padh chuki hai toh ek khaani ke sare zimadariya ache se nibha payegi, iss ghar mein sabko pasand hai aur yeh mat bhulo ke uss se shaadi karke kitni ahem zameen tumhare naam ho jayegi."

Of course the zameen Anwar Chacha had promised him if he married Meerab.

God did his mother really only saw him as this families head didn't she? Did she not see her son at all, she really thought that he would agree to marry someone he didn't want to for wealth. As if he had any dearth of his own land or money.

He silently agreed to everything his mother said Meerab was beautiful, well educated, came from a good , respectable family. She was charming even when or with whom she wanted to be. He wouldn't admit it on gun point but she would be perfect for him, at least on paper.

But only on paper it was, they hadn't been able to have a single cordial conversation since they were kids. Too different in ideologies and too similar in attitude. Their egos always clashing forever unable to find the common ground. He matched her coldness with indifference and she matched his anger with fire.

They were doomed.

She got under his skin in the worst way possible, clawing her way through his indifference and unleashing parts of him he had long ago buried. She was too impulsive, too idealistic and too stubborn.

Plus he would also never agree to marry someone who didn't want to marry him. It was against his honor.

His mother not disheartened by his continuous refusal still continued going on and on one superficial reason after another.

"Mujhe parvah nahi hai." He turned intending to end the conversation.

His mother's voice still stopped him "Vo toh dikh he Raha hai." Her tone rising a few decible "mujhe laga tha it would be difficult to make Meerab see sense par usne toh ek baar apne maa baap ke kehne par haan kar di apne janamdin ke agle he din" something that had surprised everyone she had calmly agreed while having breakfast the next day when Murtasim had already left for the village "aur ek tum ho jo baat samajhne ko he taiyar nahi ho." Her frustration evident in her voice.

He hadn't heard anything after "usne haan kar de."

It took him a moment to collect his thoughts. There was no way it was true. She wouldn't agree to this match not on her own violation at least but then it was impossible to get her to do something she didn't desire. Her parents also loved her way to much to force her to do something this drastic without her consent. Something he couldn't really say about his own mother right now.

What are you playing at Meerub Waqas Ahmed he thought.

He moved aside, momentarily silencing his mother before grabbing his car keys that he has discarded on the side table. He needed to talk to her.