Chapter 10: Unanswered Questions

Start from the beginning

Mr. LaRusso and I joined the rest of the students, who were standing around and watching them.

Mr. LaRusso looked proud, his head nodding slowly. "Good job, guys. You see that? We all work together as a team, anything's possible," he said. All the students let out sounds of agreement.

"Now," Mr. LaRusso spoke again, "I think we've done enough for today. You all did great. We'll meet back here tomorrow at 8AM."

All the students groaned at the early meeting time, making Mr. LaRusso laugh out loud.

Then everyone started to make their way out of the dojo. I, however, crossed my arms over my chest and stared at the rock in silence. My eyes inspected the letters carved into it, the ridges on the sides, the shape it carves into the scenery of the dojo.

"You ok?" I heard a voice speak suddenly.

My head turned, my eyes landing on Robby standing next to me. His eyes looked between me and the rock, before ultimately fixing on me.

"I can't believe I missed it..." I spoke, a little sad I didn't get to see Demetri and Chris actually put the rock back up. Robby laughed lightly in response.

It was quiet for a moment, before Robby spoke again. "Hey, I was wondering... Would you be up for going to Monroe's with me?" he asked.

"Now?" I asked.

"That's kind of what I was thinking, yeah." Robby smiled at me. I thought for a moment, before smiling back at him.

"Sure. Let's go to Monroe's," I said.

We drove in my car, since Robby came to the dojo with the LaRusso's. The car ride was rather awkward and quiet, and it didn't help that Monroe's was way further away than it used to be. But we finally got there, and I felt somewhat excited.

I haven't been to Monroe's in months. I couldn't bring myself to go in after Robby and I's sudden parting, no matter how much I craved a Lotus drink.

The inside looked the same, as if time hadn't moved at all in here. The small building was packed with people, the lights were dimmed, there was a singer on stage, and the same old bartender walked quickly back and forth behind the bar as he made people's drinks. We found two empty stools at the bar and sat.

"Hey, Jimmy," Robby called to the bartender as he walked by. His eyes, which were previously focused on the drinks in his hands, raised quickly and landed on Robby and me. A grin spread across his face.

He was an older man with an Irish accent, muscular build, and dark hair that had streaks of grey in it. His famous mustache was greyer, which was really the only indication of his age. He looked good for how old he was, and he knew it. The only real wrinkles on his face were those formed around his eyes when he smiled. Jimmy's dad opened Monroe's but passed it to Jimmy after he died. Robby and I got to know him well.

"Shite, look at you guys! Long time, no see," Jimmy exclaimed, turning towards us with the drinks in his hands. His voice was loud, so we could hear him over the music and talking. "I haven't made nearly as many Lotuses without you here to order them!"

Robby and I chuckled. "It's good to see you, Jimmy," I said to him. 

"It's good to see you guys too! What brings you back all the sudden? You don't hate me, do you?" Jimmy joked. Robby and I both shook our heads. Toby opened his mouth to talk, when someone further down the bar interrupted.

"Hey, dude," the guy spoke loudly, nodding his head towards Jimmy, "are you gonna bring us our drinks or what?"

Jimmy stood up straighter and glared at the man, narrowing his eyes. Jimmy is so nice, but he can look very intimidating. The man across the bar slouched in his chair slightly.