XXX. The Recital to End All Recitals

En başından başla

Ileen sighs. Showcase week is insane and hectic. No one is ever happy until the show is over, especially Abby.

"It is not a competition. But it is equally important. We are going to be doing a routine. The routine is called 'Light My Fire.' And it's hip-hop. Now, Paige, it's been weeks. I think that you are capable of performing in this hip-hop routine.'"

"She has to get approved by the doctor first," Kelly cuts in.

Abby nods. "Absolutely. But it's going to be with the boot on. Kelly, you're an original member of the Abby Lee Dance Company. I would like to see some of your classmates at the show."

Kelly chuckles. "My God, I haven't seen them in 20-some years."

"I want those people to see that the Abby Lee Dance Company is alive and healthy and strong and continuing to educate children."

Kelly nods. "Okay."

"Now there's something else we're doing. There will be one person chosen from each age level to win a very generous cash scholarship. Alright, ladies, you're dismissed. Girls spread apart. I'm gonna start this number right now."

Ileen's mind reeled with confusion as she headed to the viewing room with the other mothers. What is Abby thinking? Hip-hop is not something our girls are skilled at. I thought that the audition in California would've proven that.

"My girls hate hip-hop," Kelly complains, sitting down.

"Well, how do they if they're never taken it?" Jill asks.

"They have, though," Ileen corrects. "Not extensively. However, they have, and none of our girls are... it's not their forte."

Sabrina enjoys hip-hop even though she's not that good, but Bianca and Elsa hate it as much as Brooke and Paige.

"I love to watch Paige do hip-hop, I have to tell you," Melissa tells Kelly.

"Paige is funny," Kelly nods. "She's like a wet noodle out there. Oh, look at Bianca!"

Finding Bianca, Ileen chuckles at the scowl on her face. "Talk about two left feet."

"I don't really look forward to recital time or concert time," Holly admits.

"Me neither," Kelly agrees.

"Oh really, I love it," Melissa tells them.

Ileen's brow raises. "Really? I do not. It's hectic, and there's so much unneeded stress."

Holly nods. "I find it to be an incredibly stressful and painful experience."

"Ha! Me too," Christi agrees.

"It's right up there... I think I'd rather have a root canal."

"It's not fair to my child," Jill complains, bringing the attention to her. "She can have a duet... and win, in a group, and be in a winning group. Has nothing to do with her talent or her dancing."

"You left," Kelly reminds her, raising her brow.

Jill turns to her and nods. "So we left, that's right. And we're back..."

"You left. So now you have to wait until it comes time for auctions again to audition again!"

"Did your daughter leave the team to go try out for cheerleading?" Jill demands.

"She didn't leave the team. She asked for permission to try out."

Ileen cocks a brow. That's certainly not how I remember it.

"Oh, Kelly, you always have excuses why your kids get what they get."

"Going to a different studio, Jill, was totally different."