XX. Waiting for Joffrey

Monday afternoon, Sabrina stood between her sisters as Abby began the pyramid. The last few weeks since Jill and Kendall ran off to the Candy Apples have been chaotic. At least between the other Moms and Melissa. There Mom wasn't taking sides but was leaning more on Melissa's side.

Sabrina didn't blame her. If Melissa wants to talk about her engagement, then the other Moms should respect her wish. It's not that big of a deal.

"We have a lot to do. I'm gonna get right to the pyramid," Abby rubs her hands together. "At the bottom of the pyramid... Chloe. You are one of the most advanced dancers sitting in this group, but I want more from you. You need a challenge; you need to work up to the next level.

"Remember, there is no I in team, but there is an 'm' and an 'e,' and it's all about me. Understood? All right, moving on. Nia. Nia, that trio-- you wanted it, you got it. Like I said, you have the style and the sass, but the rest is a mess.

"Paige. You did a great job; you did your part. I want more. Next, I have Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you continue to improve each week. Every week I come into the studio, you learn a new trick, but I don't want it all to be about your gymnastics. Got it?

"And Brooke. I thought your part in the group dance was excellent. Just watch the chin; no more hickeys. Sabrina, Elsa, and Bianca. Your trio was fabulous. It was a musical theater piece, and it looked like something on broadway.

"And on top of the pyramid... Maddie. You won the overall high score; you beat Justice, you beat all the boys. Congratulations."

Raising her hands, Sabrina claps for Maddie. Maddie was becoming a great dancer, and Sabrina wondered what would have happened if she competed against her last week.

The nerves hit at the thought, but she firmly stomps them down. She couldn't get better at dance if she was afraid to go up against someone good.

"Moving on, I need to talk a little bit about this week. There's gonna be a scout from Joffrey Ballet in Michigan at Energy Dance. He is scouting kids to go to an audition for Joffrey."

Sabrina's jaw slackens. This is the biggest thing that's happened to them since the Broadway scout came last year.

"Oh my God," Elsa whispers beside her.

Grinning, Sabrina turns and shakes Bianca. "Joffrey!"

"I know," Bianca pushes her off with a grin.

"Girls, quiet!" Abby shushes them. "So you need to be at your best. You need to represent the Abby Lee Dance Company to the best of your ability. Alright, the group number this week is entitled, 'Nip and Tuck.'"

Abby glances at the Moms. "I know you talk about having some work done. Kelly."

"What?" Kelly asks.

"We all know what you want," Abby tells her.

"Boobs? Yes!"

Sabrina's face scrunchies up. She hates going to the doctors; she couldn't imagine going there willing.

"You all know that you have beautiful, gorgeous children. So this is a message about body image. It's a message about people that do have work done," Abby explains. "It's kind of eerie; it's kind of dark. And I didn't want to use everybody in the routine at first, but then I figured you're never gonna get any better sitting around doing nothing.

"We have three trios. I'm splitting the group in thirds, and the trios will be Mackenzie, Paige, and Nia. You will be doing a high-energy jazz routine incorporating gymnastic tumbling. Then I have Brooke, Maddie, and Chloe.

"You will be doing a contemporary, lyrical routine. Chloe; it's about the trio. Brooke, you've never done a trio with these girls, so this is going to be all-new for you. And we all know who my last trio goes to. The three of you will be doing a beautiful ballet-inspired lyrical routine."