Chapter 2: Leonard Snart

The worst part, unfair because of how hopeful it left them for fleeting moments, was that Barry could have a normal conversation for a sentence or two, but then it would dissolve and Eddie would have to remind himself that Iris's best friend and brother wasn't as present as he seemed.

He'd barely even known about Barry before the young man's accident put him in a coma for months. During that time, Eddie grew closer to Iris, and was happy for it, but he hated that the whole reason they got that chance was because someone else had been hurt. Somehow, it might have all been worth it if Barry had woken up okay, even still with his powers, like Wally, as long as his mind was clear. Like this, Eddie wondered if he'd ever get to know the man who meant so much to Iris.

How could Eddie propose and ask her to be his forever when her best friend couldn't stand up with them? She'd confessed that she used to imagine her wedding as a little girl, different ideas over the years about who the groom might be, but always was Barry her Man of Honor.

She'd talk to him for hours, trying to latch on to specific moments, a phrase here or there that reminded her of an old conversation, and she'd follow the thread for as long as Barry let her.

"I dragged you to see Silent Hill that night, remember? Because I love horror movies, and you hate them, but it's no fun seeing them alone."

"Sean Bean lives in that one."

"He does! And you had a nightmare afterward and slept on my floor, and I tried to cheer you up by listing all the movies he either dies, turns evil-"

"Or both!" Barry finished with a giggle. He had an infectious laugh that always spread to Iris quickly, prompting Eddie to chuckle with them as he looked on and saw how connected they were.

But like all times before it, Barry's eyes began to drift. "I don't like stories about moms that get lost," he said, sounding so sad, like maybe he'd said those words when he was much younger.

"I know, Barr," Iris cringed and reached to take his hand.

"Actually, I prefer three sugars, thanks," Barry pulled away to reach for his marker, always nearby, always what he sought before long, "thanks, blanks, banks-he used to rob banks, you know, but rarely even knocks off a convenience store these days," he said like that was an in-joke none of them understood because he wasn't talking to them anymore.

Eddie couldn't call on old memories like Iris, so he used his time with Barry, sometimes with her still there but needing a break, to tell Barry about him. His favorite bands and food and subjects in school once upon a time, and especially his favorite TV shows and movies, since he enjoyed horror movies just as much as Iris did.

"That means you don't have to bite the bullet anymore, buddy. We'll invite you along for the cheesy action flicks, huh? And sci-fi? You love that sort of thing, right?"

Cisco was in the room that day, scanning Barry's symbols for new iterations to aid in his decryption, and Barry turned to him, as if continuing a separate conversation.

"Yeah, and every time at the end, you turn to me and say, 'I have been and always shall be your friend'."

"What?" Cisco spun about to face him. "Did you just quote Wrath of Khan at me? Is this a bonding moment, coz dude, I will whip out Star Trek right now in the break room, don't even tempt me."

They'd done it too-just Barry, Cisco, and Eddie, since Iris wouldn't get off work for hours, and it had been agreed that someone always had to be with Barry. They marathoned Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock until Wells came looking for Cisco, then Eddie stopped for the day since he didn't want to watch Star Trek IV without Iris when he knew how much she loved 'the whale one'.