HEISENBERG'S UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE

The uncertainty principle, formulated by physicist Heisenberg in 1927, states that we can't precisely know the speed and position of a particle at the same time.
Here is an example to help you better understand this principle.

Imagine we are in an airplane ok? Now if we were in a normal one, we would know both the speed we are going, and where exactly we are going, right?

"pchht- Hello everybody and welcome to this flight, today we are heading to Italy and we are going at a speed of 760 km/h. Have a nice day!"

But imagine we were in an airplane with the properties of a particle, it would give something like that:

"pchht- Hello everybody and welcome to this flight. Today we are going at a speed of 760 km/h, but we unfortunately don't know where we are nor where we're going. We could be in the pacific ocean or flying over europe, we don't have a single idea. Have a nice day!"

or something like that:

"pchht- Hello everybody and welcome to this flight. Today we are going to Italy and are actually flying over the ocean, but I unfortunately cannot tell you at what speed we are going. We can be going very slowly or at the speed of light, we don't have a single idea. Have a nice day!"

S̶o̶ y̶e̶a̶h̶, I̶ a̶m̶ d̶e̶f̶e̶n̶i̶t̶l̶y̶ g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ t̶o̶ s̶h̶o̶o̶t̶ m̶y̶s̶e̶l̶f̶. I love quantum physics :D

So basically it's the same thing with an electron or any other quantum particle. We can never know its speed if we know its momentum and we can never know its momentum (position) if we know its speed.

Or a more accurate way to say it would be, the more precisely you know the position of this particle, the less precisely you know it's speed, and vice-versa!

Fascinating :) Get excited!