Bungee Jumping Without the Bungee

CHAPTER NINE: LYDIA, PERCY

LYDIA

The Arch was about a mile from the train station. Late in the day the lines to get in weren't that long.

They threaded their way through the underground museum, looking at covered wagons and other junk from the 1800s. It wasn't all that thrilling, but Annabeth kept telling them interesting facts about how the Arch was built, and Grover kept passing Percy and Lydia jelly beans, so it was okay.

Percy kept looking around anxiously though, at the other people in line.

"You smell anything?" He murmured to Grover.

He took his nose out of the jelly-bean bag long enough to sniff.

"Underground," he said distastefully. "Underground air always smells like monsters. Probably doesn't mean anything."

"I don't know, Grover." Lydia said, hesitantly. "Something's off."

"Guys," Percy said. "You know the gods' symbols of power?"

Annabeth had been in the middle of reading about the construction equipment used to build the Arch, but she looked over. "Yeah?"

"Well, Hade—"

Grover cleared his throat. "We're in a public place....You mean, our friend downstairs?"

"Um, right," Percy said. "Our friend way downstairs. Doesn't he have a hat like Annabeth's?"

"You mean the Helm of Darkness," Lydia said.

"Yeah, that's his symbol of power. I saw it next to his seat during the winter solstice council meeting." Annabeth added, at the same time.

"He was there?" Percy asked.

She nodded. "It's the only time he's allowed to visit Olympus—the darkest day of the year. But his helm is a lot more powerful than my invisibility hat, if what I've heard is true...."

"It allows him to become darkness," Grover confirmed. "He can melt into shadow or pass through walls. He can't be touched, or seen, or heard. And he can radiate fear so intense it can drive you insane or stop your heart. Why do you think all rational creatures fear the dark?"

"But then...how do we know he's not here right now, watching us?" Percy asked.

Lydia and Grover exchanged looks.

"We don't," Lydia said.

"Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better," Percy replied, shuddering. "Got any blue jelly beans left?" He said to Grover.

Lydia had just barely started to feel her stomach calm down when she saw the tiny little elevator car they were going to ride to the top of the Arch, and she knew he was in trouble. Lydia hated high places. They made her nauseous.

Percy could feel the waves of anxiety coming off of Lydia from beside him. He remembered what she had said about heights right after she had turned red as a tomato when he called her Goldie.

Percy felt the name was fitting. Lydia was literally the sun personified; with her hair and her eyes and her lightly tanned skin. Her personality was bright, and when she smiled it was as blinding as a thousand lightbulbs. If he didn't know any better, he could've guessed she was actually a daughter of Apollo.

He stepped a little closer and she relaxed slightly.

They got shoehorned into the car with this big fat lady and her dog, a Chihuahua with a rhinestone collar.

They started going up inside the Arch. Now, Lydia was even more freaked out. Her breathing was shaky and her hands were woven tightly into fists. She'd never been in an elevator that went in a curve, and her stomach wasn't too happy about it.