One

Forget

It was so difficult to do. Her mentors told her to forget when she won. Every part of her was slowly being consumed. She didn't know her body was burning until the first nightmare came. There were keeping her awake as she screamed for help. She was lonely and her family couldn't just hug or kiss her as they always did, it wasn't enough. Invisible scars covered her body. Aria wanted to forget everything, but they didn't want her to forget anything. They wanted her to remember what she did and what she will do.

The sun was setting as the last customers disappeared into the crowded streets of District 8. The day was ending and everyone was going home after a long cold day where you could feel winter coming on. The heat was slowly disappearing and the cold was coming in.

In this icy cold, the heart of Aria hadn't heal.

Since her arrival, she had not see or think about Clove until the letter arrived. August, her father, had returned late in the evening from a distant errand because now the shop offered on-site repairs. Aria's victory had taken their shop to a new level. Never again would they have money problems, not to mention the money she received from her victory by the Capitol.

The richer families were fighting for their family's clothes while before they would laugh at their poverty. Many gifts were given after her arrival, including a house in the Victors' village. It was the first time that the family members had their own bedrooms. During the first nights, Heidi, her youngest sister, always came to see her because she was afraid of the dark that was create by being alone.

Even though they had a new house, they didn't sleep all nights there because they opened early in the morning. President Snow had, however, insisted that Aria lived in their house every night to show her gratitude to the Capitol that made her sometimes alone in that big house at night where the nightmares of the past gradually haunted her every thoughts.

In this brownish-coloured house, she contemplated the envelope that lay in her hands once filled with blood. A District 2 seal sealed the letter and she knew for sure whose idea it was to send this message. Aria didn't even know that letters could be sent between districts, it would never have been of any use to her before at the same time. Was she ready to reopen a wound from the past? Memories that she had erased from her memory the moment she embraced her family after weeks.

A loud sigh was heard before she set the letter down on the kitchen table to pour herself a glass of water. The cold water cleared her gullet as the doorbell rang. She obviously knew who would be ringing her doorbell at this hour. Cecelia. Living in the Victors' village gave Cecelia the idea of coming to see her every day after the day's end to see how she was doing. At first, Aria didn't understand the importance of this gesture until loneliness knocked at her door. On days when the dark thoughts that scared her came, the redhead knew that at the end of the day someone would come to comfort her.

"How was your day? Mine was full of pastries. The babyshower will be the end of me, is tomorrow still okay for you?" She didn't even let the door open all the way before she spoke as she walked into the house.

"Yes, had a good day, especially at the shop. I think my grandmother wants to make me a headliner." Aria giggled at the thought of a gigantic photo on top of their roof. "For tomorrow, we're still free. I can't believe you're pregnant with all that's going on."

A few weeks after the games ended, Cecelia announced the news of her pregnancy. Aria was delighted with the news, it was a bit of colour in her thoughts. She, however, did not think she would want a child later on. Starting a family was one of her wildest dreams before the arena. The horrors that still plagued her made her realise that she could not risk a young life living what she had lived.

The baby shower would be tomorrow in the early afternoon before ending with a big buffet at her mentor's house. Cecelia was one of the victors who had decided not to let the misfortunes of winning the Hunger Games guide her. She started her own family when she lost hers.

When she arrived in the kitchen, Cecelia placed an apple pie on the counter. Aria had noticed that when her mentor became preoccupied with something, she cooked. A lot. Tomorrow's party must have given her more anxiety than she needed.

"Can you go get some dishes? I've changed the recipe and I need to know if I should make pies again for tomorrow." A chuckled escaped from the redhead mouthed while she searched for dishes.

Cecelia knew how Aria was feeling, years ago she was at her place. Her games still haunted her, but she learned to live with it. She refused to let them win. Not after what they did to her. Not after her parents and brothers died because of their beliefs. Years ago she made a choice to not respect the wishes of President Snow and her family paid the price.

Her mentor dreaded the moment when President Snow would summon her to the Capitol and ask her to make a choice that a fifteen-year-old girl should not have to make. She didn't like hating people, but he was the exception to the rule. He told her he understood her, but that was a lie. Her heart blackened with hatred every time she thought of that hateful, heartless man.

"Your pie is really good, everyone will love it."

"I'm sorry Aria. I told you to fight to win when I knew what winning the Hunger Games involved. I was selfish, I was sick of seeing Tributes died every year." Tears flooded down her cheeks."I ask your forgiveness, Thimble."

Aria wanted to tell her mentor not to cry that it wasn't her fault. However, that would be a lie. If she had been told that this would be the life of a Victor, she would have died in the arena. She dreaded every night. The nightmares of the people she was around made her life hell.

"Sometimes I wish I was dead in the arena, because that would have saved me from the horror I'm going through. Every time I open my eyes, images from the past scare me. My reason for fighting was for my loves ones and they are not even there for me. They think I'm fine while I know I'll never get better. I can just learn to live with this weight and as the days pass I'm not sure if I can learn to live with the lives I have taken.

"Aria, I-"

"Sometimes I'm happy to be alive. To have beaten the odds that weren't on my favour, to have fight till the end and to be able to enjoy the happiness of breathing and not being in a coffin six feet under like 22 other Tributes. Fortunately, there are more days when I'm happy to live so don't worry too much Cecelia."

The two Victors stayed silent while the rest of the magpie in theirs disappeared little by little.  As Cecelia picked up the paddles, she noticed the letter with the bucket from District 2.

"Your conflict of interest has been resolved."she said, pointing at the letter.

"Why do you think so? She lied to me and used me to win."

"Maybe she explains herself and apologizes in the letter. Aria, you have to forgive and move on. You can't keep hating her. She's the only person who's still alive who participated in the 74th Hunger Games, a miracle. There have never been two winners which is hope for the future, but also a threat to them. You need to be united for what's next, because it's going to be a long journey.

"I don't care. Can we talk about something else? What are the names you have in mind for your child?" Said Aria, enough talk about her.

"I'm still deciding between Amaryllis for a girl, and Floyd for a boy."

"Choose a name for the new world you want them to be."

Author's note

I wanted to publish this novel on 11 July, because that was the date of publication of Taste of Heaven, but I fell ill so here I am a few days later, ready to show you the sequel to Aria and Clove. I hope you enjoy my novel and I hope you have a nice day :)