ep five: at the peak of its cruelty

Start from the beginning

He wonders now if being satisfied with the bare minimum will cost him in the competition. As the host announces the suspense of the Top 10 candidates and 53rd survivor on hold, a voice in his head whispered that maybe being in 14th or 15th is better than waiting in anxiety. But all this is rebuked when Ji Woong squeezes his hand for a second before the camera came back to surveying trainees.

Why should he settle for less when he had so many fellow trainees that worked with him and always aimed for number one? And given the new commercial coming out in a week or two, he shouldn't want to be ranked averagely or else it might pose questions towards Ji Woong who was a strong contender for the final lineup. So June stopped his thoughts and focused on the present — he'd miss most of the trainees later too if he wasted these times in his head.

"It will begin."

"The first team to be announced is Danger!" The relief in his bones broke into warmth at a stalling moment. He felt guilty to pose the stress others, especially knowing that Seunghwan and Lee Dauel were among the trainees. "Are you worried for them?" Jong Woo asked the question openly to those beside him. After hearing worrying things on the teamwork or rehearsal of both K and G groups, most of them nodded. It was quite a topic of discussion during meal times because rarely did the members of Danger appear together in the cafeteria. It was almost like they avoided straining their current position prior to performance. "But at the end, they delivered a performance. That's something in itself."

The first rank announced among them was high — the 13th. He leaned back at his seat, wishing that it was Seung Hwan. Hearing the boy pour his heart out amidst the heavy weights of holding the group together and doing his best in his own parts, he surely deserved it. "Lee Da Eul!" June clapped his hands at the result but didn't move his gaze from Seunghwan. Maybe it was higher, hopefully his hard work will be rewarded by votes. "Rank 16 is Takuto!"

He's supposed to be a hyung. His hands should've clapped with more spirit, being in the league of pride for the young boy. Who was he to hold judgment when during the filming he wasn't able to view it due to preparing for their own stage? But as he gazed at a few individuals who held much more preparedness than the younger boy, there was a falter in him to declare such rank to Takuto. "Rank 21 Lee Seung Hwan."

»--•--«

"The longer we wait, the fewer seats are left." The first and the last groups to be ranked would receive the most pressure. And he didn't want to be the one to experience that today. But alas, his wishing won't change the script, would it? "Next is Very Nice!"

The charming Seo Won and strong vocalist Seung Eon were individuals that stood out to him during the performance. They both chose parts that enhanced the performance but also allowed them to shine. And with hopes, the fans of the show saw that. "Would the viewers think something is up if I'm wishing Seo Won gets a good rank?" His question had Jong Woo laughing as Ji Woong smirked to the side. "June, I think your question already secured shipping from a great number of people when this is released."

"Rank 19 is receiving attention with his splendid visual. Also, he has once debuted as an idol." June's heart hammered before he could process the pieces fitting his Very Nice bias. "Seo Won!" His applause didn't go unnoticed by the editors and they were sure to add his happiness at the final cut of the episode. If only they added Ji Woong's fond glance at his energy then it could have created an even more interesting narrative.

»--•--«

"Love Me Right!" The team being announced so soon after being the subject of tension was surprising. But perhaps it kept viewers on their toes, watching the whole episode with the surprising announcements.